Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dead Bees  (Read 3187 times)

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
Dead Bees
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:16:37 pm »
My hive looked quiet, so I peeked in and my bees are all dead. Has anyone lost theres after the hard winter???

sanman

• Joined May 2009
Re: Dead Bees
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:16 am »
I've lost a nuc but my two hives were still OK when I checked them a couple of weeks ago.  Another month or so and I'm hoping they should be safe.

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:15:43 pm »
Never a good thing. Mine are all doing well, but that is just from seeing them fly, tocold to be opening up yet.

Heron, do you know why you have lost them? (daft question maybe)

Did you treat for Varroa? (Oxalic acid?) Did you feed well or add fondant? Was the queen old? or a late developer?

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:27:59 pm »
I treated for varoa in the autumn with apiguard. I also fed with sugar until they stopped taking in the autumn. I never got around to oxyalic acid or fondant as they were flying about three weeks ago and were looking in good shape. As for the queen she was new this year, so there's a lot to think about here (Or lessons learnt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:27:57 am »
Without seeing them, it is very hard to guess what was the cause.

It might help to take a sample of the bees and send them off to the bee unit at York for a diagnosis?

Also to be on the safe side, burn all the frames and scorch in inside of the hive with a blow torch.

Although like you I treated with apiguard, I also treated with oxalic acid in late December, it really does help. I then feed with fondant as the oxalic gives them a bit of a kick-start so they need a bit of food.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:58:00 pm »
As a soon to be beekeeper, thais is really interesting. They seem to be hard to keep though.

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 08:32:13 pm »
No they are easy to keep, so don't be put off. The only thing is dont forget about them as they dont make noise or follow you around when ther'e hungry or ill

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS