Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do i sex chicks/  (Read 2622 times)

apple and sauce

• Joined Jan 2010
How do i sex chicks/
« on: January 26, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »
I incubated some eggs at christmas and 2 Orpingtons and 1 Wynadotte hatched.Any clues on how to sex them?

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: How do i sex chicks/
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:31:03 pm »
look at them the larger slightly more upright ones will be the cocks with a more upright tail feathers the flatter ones should be hens... i hatched 6 orpingtons, i wanted a cockeral i sold the others and kept what looked liked a cockeral by the above method.... a few weeks later it looked more like a hen, i tried to contact the buyer as i only wanted a cock, couldnt trace them but a few weeks on something tried a throaty crow i looked and it was the orpington so it was a cockeral after all. genaraly i think the bigger ones should be cockerals. ime no expert

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:28:53 pm »
Wait a few months till they start to crow, but make sure you're watching at the time, or like me you'll be eyeing up 3 potential cockerals and still not know!!

Alternately watch the way the combs/wattles grow, the boys are bigger, sooner.

You can tell via the colouring sometimes, its quite an interesting study, but breeds where the male and female look alike are quite problematical unless you're experienced.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 09:44:08 pm »
dont know about your breeds, but when we had 2 hamburgs and a minorcan, a 'google images' search eventually helped!
( Minorcan cockerel, hamburgs one of each... the hen we kept but she crows! so don't rely on it)
Little Blue

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:34:31 am »
the flight feathers at day old are a good clue but i would not bump any off untill im sure.

apple and sauce

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:30:56 pm »
can you explain this a bit more to me please

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 06:51:29 pm »
the wife does it but i think the females have longer flight feathers than males but this soon goes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS