Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Muscovy cross apple yard  (Read 2934 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Muscovy cross apple yard
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:06:20 pm »
Although I am not convinced I can eat a duck I've seen grow up-would this be a good cross as a table bird? Are regular sized apple yard ducks big enough for a muscovy drake? And do muscovies mix with non-muscovies or are they a breed apart? (I know that Muscovy crosses are mules-I seem to be a rescue duck magnet atm, if they would mix alright I could just keep her for eggs).

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Muscovy cross apple yard
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 10:01:47 pm »
I don't know much about muscovies but I keep LF Appleyards and they're pretty big ducks so they'd be a fine match size wise. Also they're a good size table on their own so I'm sure they'd produce a good size between them. The only thing I'm not sure about is the effect of the two different origins of the birds and the fact that Muscovy is not a 'true' duck but id sounds like you have more experience of that.

I find the drakes much easier to eat (i.e. kill!) than the ducks - once you've seen enough drakes molesting a duck, you know you have to act! Not quite so easy as cockerels when they become really annoying but doable.....especially if you're prepared yourself from the outset that they will be dinner one day.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 11:17:37 pm »
we use to have a pair of muscovies amongst a flock of free range campbells. I never saw them interbreed but maybe they will in confinement. Muscovy crosses are supposed to be sterile. muscovies are very good eating.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 02:54:31 am »
I was told that Muscovy Crosses where infertile and  the one time our Muscovy duck  hatched crosses out (Muscovy Duck x Saxony Drake )we never got a fertile egg from the offspring
Graham

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:02:36 am »
I was told that Muscovy Crosses where infertile and  the one time our Muscovy duck  hatched crosses out (Muscovy Duck x Saxony Drake )we never got a fertile egg from the offspring

yes-infertile (mules ;) ). Thanks all-I agree about culling the drakes and certainly don't want more than one long term, the hens are just lovely but the boy-not so much!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS