Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep vaccinations  (Read 2735 times)

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Sheep vaccinations
« on: January 07, 2015, 01:17:55 pm »
Can anyone advise me please, if my sheep have previously been vaccinated with Heptavac and I plan to do them with Lambivac do they need 2 injections or one?  In other words will a booster of Lambivac work if they have had Heptavac in the past, or do I need to start them on a fresh course? Thanks

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
Re: Sheep vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:37:17 pm »
How come your changing? have you had problems with heptovac?

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:01:28 pm »
The situation is that these are new sheep to me and I have already bought the Lambivac because it is cheaper, but I think they have been vaccinated with Heptavac previously, so no problem with Heptavac.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:14:17 pm »

The lambivac data sheet says sheep that have not previously been vaccinated with lambivac need 2 injections.
http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/Products_Public/Lambivac/Datasheet.aspx
Deviations from the data sheet recommendations can only be made by a vet so if you want to just give a single booster dose you need to discuss this with your vet.
Also be aware that lambivac is primarily aimed at booster immunity of the main clostridial LAMB diseases. It does not help with pasturellosis, or protect the ewe against the myriad of other clostridial diseases covered by Heptavac P.
? False economy

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 07:58:44 am »
Many thanks.... I will give that some thought... :)

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS