Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: neighbour's dog  (Read 4475 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
neighbour's dog
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:20:05 pm »
Twice today I saw one of the neighbours' dogs in our garden, a black sheep dog. I chased it out once and found fresh paw prints all over later, stopping short only at the enclosure for the birds. I'm really miffed as so far we had not a single casualty through a fox , although they live just across the road. It would be no problem for a dog that size to jump the enclosure, but it shouldn't be here! If I wanted a dog around, I'd buy one...OH has to have a word. I was so hoping to have a better relationship with these newish neighbours than we had with their parents (one of their dogs broke into the rabbit run and beheaded the poor thing many years ago).   :&>

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: neighbour's dog
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 06:21:54 pm »
Tell your Local Dog Warden, they can do something if it becomes a persistant problem.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 07:08:00 pm »
might be worth actually getting the dog over and getting him used to the birds and teach him not to attack them

owners can be such stubborn things, they'll never learn

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:14:38 pm »
I feel for you - that's a really tricky problem.  However, our neighbours dog kept jumping into our field to chase the hens.  As soon as I told him he put a fence up.  The dog has not come back into the field and the nighbour now gets free eggs as a thank you.

Good Luck!

sandy

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:28:21 pm »
I feel for you, some people have no idea how much stress a loose dog can be, there used to be one roam around here and it looked like Bruce but was very agressive and attacked lot's of dogs,  unfortunaley that dog was ill treated and ended up dead in a house fire!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 09:57:35 pm »
I think if you speak to your neighbours and tell them the dog has been in the garden and let them know there will be eggs coming their way provided he doesn't kill the hens they will be co-operative.  I sure hope so, but if not speak to the Dog Warden.  All dog owners must keep their dogs under control.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 10:04:47 pm »
Kerstin I'm gonna give you different advice from everyone else. You don't have enough chooks to give away free eggs tell your neighbours to get their mutt under control, in a nice way though, ofcourse.

sandy

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:53:12 pm »
P.S..the local farmer shoots stray dogs!! it certainly keeps responsible owners away from his fields!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 11:19:35 pm »
I don't think I'll be offering eggs, but I'd like to keep it positive for now. That's why OH has to speak to him , I tend to piss people off when I'm upset (I don't have any diplomatic skills). It's a nice family and our kids will go to the same school next term...We are just a black spot in their property, if it wasn't for us their dogs could roam wherever they wanted for miles and miles - how are they supposed to know? Still, I'd rather they knew it's not all their territory! And even if a sheep dog just rounds my ducks up they get a heart attack in this kind of weather. They only move 5 steps and then sit down again, poor things. Last thing I need is anything chasing them... :&> :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 11:25:04 pm »
P.S..the local farmer shoots stray dogs!! it certainly keeps responsible owners away from his fields!!

Which one is that ?  I didn't know there was a dangerous farmer in this area.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 05:13:49 pm »
THe Farmer who uses the field near the Tower, we were warned when we looked  at the house and we know of people who have had thier dogs shot!!! We don't go at the moment as we think Ben would run off there, he is OK kept on the lead and Steve said his recall is very good..but I still do not trust him, trust Islay, whe is a good girl!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 05:21:49 pm »
Sandy I have not stayed in Clackmannan for 27 years now and I remember the farmer that had the farm down the back of the Tower shooting dogs that ran without a lead. For the life of me can't remember the farms name now or the road that it's on (its on the bottom of the hill opposite the Scout Hut and Park?)

sandy

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 06:19:00 pm »
Thats it. we have met people who have had thier dogs shot, not second chance so we keep away!!!! Horrid but it dose the trick when it's your livestock, just hope we never have someone let our dogs out as that is where they will go!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS