Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Random turkey death.  (Read 1702 times)

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
Random turkey death.
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:07:25 am »
I'm raising 11turkeys for Xmas. This morning for no reason that u can see one of my bigger turkeys was dead for no reason I could see. Plucked him to look at his skin nothing unusual about his skin any ideas?
Thax

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Random turkey death.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:16:27 am »
How old?  We find with both chickens and turkeys they sometimes just stop growing somewhere between 3 and 16 weeks of age, although appearing entirely healthy otherwise, and then we just find them dead one morning.  We put this down to a genetic defect (most probably heart) that the bird could sustain while it was small but with all the organs under strain due to the fast growth stage, the body can't sustain the problem any longer.  If it happened to one or two other birds I'd get worried but with just one, not.

Cjnewton82

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:10:31 pm »
He was just under 15weeks old. I will keep a eye out on the others if any others die it's all out panic time lol!!! hopefully tho this is just a one off. Thank you

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:24:15 pm »
Could it be blackhead?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:09:51 am »
Sometimes just as with any young growing organism they just die without any disease or illness involved, its natural selection at work.

You can see it better in large commercial flocks of thousands of birds, there are a few birds die every day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS