Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Marshy ground  (Read 5406 times)

sandy

Re: Marshy ground
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 10:05:07 pm »
The power station here in Scotland do burn wood and also s**t!!! they call it "biomass!!"

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 11:04:22 pm »
Isn't that just typical!  I think that is the height of nonsense when we have so much water around. It is free!  It is in abundance!  It is a source of destruction unless harnessed! It causes untold fear, damage and heartbreak! So why can't they catch it and use it's power to create the electricity we need instead of burning stuff.  OMG I'm beginning to sound like Rusty! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 09:20:34 am »
Isn't that just typical!  I think that is the height of nonsense when we have so much water around. It is free!  It is in abundance!  It is a source of destruction unless harnessed! It causes untold fear, damage and heartbreak! So why can't they catch it and use it's power to create the electricity we need instead of burning stuff. 

Now that would be too sensible ...... and cheaper ???  so of course not

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 01:01:41 pm »
If you plant Willow - any of that family of trees - be careful not to get them near drains as their roots 'find' water and will almost certainly block drains within 10m.

I think the industrial production of Willow for fuel plants them in rows about 1m apart and keeps them cut once the stems get 2-2.5m high producing an effect like a coppiced Hazel - all small stems.

You have to keep on top of Willow in bulk or it will take over!

Birch trees grow quickly, can tolerate damp soil and are very pretty but the wood isn't much use as it's too soft and doesn't make good fuel.

As alternatives, Hazel has advantages (nuts!) and traditionally Ash was grown as fuel (hence the name). It produces a good tree for coppicing. I've got about 15 in the hedge on one side of my land. The trunks grow up about 8-10m when they are around 15cm diameter and ideal for logs. You can split the logs to make palings for fences or similar so the wood has other uses. It's fairly quick growing so I can re-coppice each stump every 5-6 years.

Willow can grow in very wet soil but if you get on top of this with better drainage plus the drying effect of the Willow, you can then plant other trees like Hazel and Ash and they will do well.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 07:55:12 pm »
I'm hoping the willow will help me.  The half acre of grass at the front of the house is well under water a lot of the winter as we are quite a bit below the rest of the village, and next to a burn that comes to the top of the bank if there is a lot of rain, but is just a trickle in the summer.  I have one large drain pipe that pumps effluent from my house up to the main drain on the road at the other side of the railway line so I'll keep them well away from that.  I helped my neighbour up North build a willow house for her children with cuttings from the willow hedge they had planted along the stream.  We found it had invaded all their and my field drains and blocked them so I now know the risks.  Are there any other trees that would help take the surplus water away from the grass?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 08:10:11 pm »
Me and Steve have just ordered loads more stones from Beastons!!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 08:43:53 pm »
I'm thinking of using some willow too, we have a clay soil and its so wet just now its horrible  :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 09:01:48 pm »
Beth, speak to Karen Happy Hippy - I'm getting some from her on 7th December.  She's not far away, maybe she could get some for you too?  By the way, thank you so much for the goat's milk - we all love it!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 09:08:01 pm »
Glad to hear it- do you want some more on Tuesday? Will speak to Karen, I have been trying to get a hedge going for the past two years of Hawthorn and beech, and its just not doing very well. Hopefully willow would do better. Also, the hedge was planned to be one that would be edible for the goats, so willow is fine for that.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 09:16:35 pm »
Don't need any more milk meantime - still have a couple of the big bottle left in the freezer.  Maybe week after?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 11:56:25 pm »
Dog training finishes next week- last week until January. May pop over and see you (and the puppies) though.

Beth

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 12:09:13 am »
Sorry, forgot!  Will be there!  You're very welcome to come over any time.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 09:10:30 am »
doganjo try poplars.  Used all over here in Brittany for drainage purposes.  Make very very fast growing trees.  Can be cut down and will regrow again from stump. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS