Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trespassing chickens!  (Read 2649 times)

ruedeleglise

• Joined Jul 2011
Trespassing chickens!
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:35:30 pm »
Help please....what is the largest square of wire "netting" a chicken can't get through. I have two large trespassers from the other side of a large pasture who want to grub up my vegetable garden.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Trespassing chickens!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 03:36:56 pm »
for adult birds 50mm mesh is minimum, don't forget they can hop up/fly as well so it needs to be at least 6ft high.

ruedeleglise

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:38:44 pm »
In that case they may well end up in the pot!

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:44:37 pm »
We keep ours out of the veggies with that cheap green plastic netting you get on ebay. Just make sure it's pretty tight. They can't sit up on it as it's too floppy. Mine will get through pig netting or just about any other fence but not that stuff.

Like this stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50M-GREEN-Barrier-Fencing-Plastic-Fence-Mesh-Netting-Roll-Building-Site-Safety-/191141825293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c80f0cb0d

ruedeleglise

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 03:55:32 pm »
Thank you both for your advice. The pasture also has cows in it so I am a little concerned they may try to tuck into it......anyone know?  I am beginning to fancy poulet roti! Yes I am in the depths of the French countryside. Whilst on the subject of trespassers, any advice other than the obvious to get rid of dirty great ginger tom cat that pisses everywhere including in my workshop and on the wife's ironing board. I think it is feral but can't be sure.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:34:02 pm by ruedeleglise »

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:37:24 am »
Thank you both for your advice. The pasture also has cows in it so I am a little concerned they may try to tuck into it......anyone know?  I am beginning to fancy poulet roti! Yes I am in the depths of the French countryside. Whilst on the subject of trespassers, any advice other than the obvious to get rid of dirty great ginger tom cat that pisses everywhere including in my workshop and on the wife's ironing board. I think it is feral but can't be sure.

A gun

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 07:01:18 am »
Unfortunately AndynJ, whilst you can buy a shotgun here you cannot buy ammunition or shoot any animal without a 'Permis de Chasse' -hunting licence, which now needs attendance at several courses to get. In fact a few months ago they made a 'transit permit' compulsory as well, so you have to get that to move a shotgun from the shop to your property or to anywhere in Europe.

ruedeleglise

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 07:04:28 am »
Trespassing blxxdy chicken.....Bloomer, Did you mean 5 cms square or was that a typo, ie. 5 inch square wire mesh. This chicken is a large lady but will surely be in a large pot soon.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:37:27 am »
sorry yes 5cm square or 2 inch mesh its what we use building chicken runs, it doesn't hold in chicks but they aren't your problem.

SLI

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:16:27 am »
The only (humane) thing I can think of for the ginger tom is a water pistol - not one of those high powered things that could hurt it.
They hate water & it would deter him eventually.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 12:43:13 pm »
If the tom is feral, would your local vet castrate him for free? No idea whether that's likely but it would stop the spraying. Catching him might be interesting though...

ruedeleglise

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 01:37:09 pm »
Thanks for your humane and kind suggestions about this Blxxdy ginger tom but I think our local vet here in rural France would die laughing at your suggestion! The two brick method is possibly more likely! Or rather a hot piece of lead behind his ear.........

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 07:34:51 pm »
i would get a dog that is capable of sorting out both the problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS