Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CPH number applied for  (Read 2413 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
CPH number applied for
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:27:52 am »
How very exciting... The lady at the RPA advised me to wait until nearer the time we might be getting livestock but I registered now anyway.

Just for my own notes, you don't need a CPH number if you're keeping under 50 chickens

I wonder if I can get SPS?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: CPH number applied for
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:41:47 am »
You've missed the window for this one.  To get SPS now you'd have to buy entitlement through an agricultural agency.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 10:53:52 am »
You've missed the window for this one.  To get SPS now you'd have to buy entitlement through an agricultural agency.

Was the window in 2005 or more recently? I'm guessing that the cost of buying entitlement is probably more than the amount I'd stand to receive

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 11:56:33 pm »
You don't need a CPH number for poultry at all - it's for the four legged variety. I'm just in the process of registering as a poultry keeper as I'll go over 50 this year and although they ask for a CPH number, it's not obligatory. Which is fortunate because I got ours over a year ago and have no idea where I put it (the advice to leave it until you need it would have been pertinent in my case!).

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 07:20:52 am »
You might nod need to have a CPH number for poultry but in the event of any disease outbreaks etc it means the powers that be can easily identify holdings that may be at risk and issue warnings. If they don't know you're there you won't get warned.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:08:46 am »
This is all correct. You must go on the register if you have more than 50 birds. However you can go on the register voluntarily if you have fewer. A CPH number doesn't really come into this though.

Where I have used our CPH number for poultry was when I took our hubbards to a slaughterhouse in the summer. The vet refused to take them until I produced a CPH number. Once I did, and he saw the condition of the birds, he was more than happy  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 01:44:41 pm »
I probably should have clarified. We're hoping to get some pigs, hence the CPH number. I asked whether we would have needed one just for a few chickens and was told no, if under 50

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS