Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blokes and rag rug making?  (Read 1980 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Blokes and rag rug making?
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:04:51 am »
Last night there was BA on the telly and the weather was lousy, so I rooted out this DVD that I bought a couple of years ago.

Land of Tradition DVD extract

I don't think that I really appreciated it the first time around but last night I really enjoyed watching it again. One of the topics that they touched on was that of rag rug making. It got me thinking that I might like to try my hand at making one. Karens always saying that I need something to do on these long dark nights.
 The first thing that I need to do is to find myself a half decent hessian sack. They're something that you just don't see that often these days. We'll have to see how far my lack of staying power gets me with this project.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Blokes and rag rug making?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:25:24 am »
Dan is making me a wool tapestry rug. He's been making it since 1997. It will be lovely when it's finished  :)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:16:05 pm »
Sixteen years? :Oh well they do say that everything comes to she who waits and that patience is a virtue. :relief:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:22:11 pm »
The video clip that came up for me was of a blacksmith and a miller, nary a mention of a rag rug  ???
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
I had a peep and also no sign of the rag rug..I made one...once..never got it finished but loved it, I  bought one from a disabled community craft fair and still love it, the bits have stayed in place too....they stopped making them as the rags were harder to come buy as they needed to be fire retardant.......anway....I bet you could get some hessian sacks on E Bay!! That video was lovely buy the way :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:33:16 pm »
I love rag rugs. If you can't find a sack you can buy hessian on line. It isn't too expensive
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:24:32 pm »
Oops! That's just a U tube clip of a small part of the DVD.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS