Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Inspirational ideas  (Read 2363 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Inspirational ideas
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:47:40 am »
I love this programme and a lot of the ideas made me want to have a go but that wears off once the programme is over, one idea was the flat pack houses like hexagons that join together, apparently they do not need planning so what a brilliant addition to your bit of spare land or big garden......I think they were £10,000 a unit!! 

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/george-clarkes-amazing-spaces/4od

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Inspirational ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:54:11 am »
Yes, I like his programmes too.  I think the £10k was the basic cost for each unit, there would be build on top of that, and I'm not convinced planners in Scotland would let them through.  He said the total cost of the three pod unit was £40K   
I loved the  caravan he did up last series.  And those pods in the forest were magical, Would have liked to see more on the interior of the stainless steel one though, they showed the sphere and the nest, but not much of that one.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:41:05 am »
I missed a few bits of the programme but could happily sit and watch them again and again, so inspirational. I have always wanted a live in type shed, just for fun...a friend on Facebook is converting an old French Van into a snack van!! I also loved the idea of the one in the forest ....looked a bit spooky and I know me and the dogs would not like going that high up!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:33:05 pm »
love George Clarke ... and the way he says "architecture"  !!!
liked the bee hive house, but where would I put everything?!
Little Blue

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 10:35:25 pm »
we are down sizing big time and most of the stuff I am getting rid of is not really needed, its good to have a clear out!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 11:43:20 pm »
Many councils do not interpret 'you can crane them in' as qualifying as mobile from a planning POV despite what the programme said (and then covered itself by saying at the end check with your local planners) so I reckons the beehives are in the uncomfortable grey ares same as shipping containers.

To be confidently classed as mobile by all councils interpretation, they need to be readily moveable, preferably using equipment readily found on site eg a car towing them and aspects of them assisting this moving process, eg skids or wheels. So a shepherds hut no problem, or a stable on skids, but these things esp if hooked up to drains and electric cables...mmmmmmm

Liked the hexagons tho!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 12:46:25 pm »
I thought that too, but in a garden a small pod would be great...I love the pods at a local farm park, they are beautiful but quite expensive......! I love programmes like that though...makes me want to do something, well until 5 mins after the programme ends at least!

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 03:37:18 pm »
I have asked Devon county council about shephards huts, camping pods, underground housing they say planning is required for all of them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS