Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and Hens on the same ground  (Read 4936 times)

fifisoo

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Pigs and Hens on the same ground
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:20:59 am »
Hi there

I am a newbie and in need of some advice. Am sure this has probably been asked a hundred times before but I couldn't find any old posts on the subject, so here goes. We plan to keep a couple of pigs (tamworths) for fattening up. We already have chickens and they are currently free range in the area we have earmarked for the pigs. We are planning on moving the chooks to a different area:
  • Should we make sure that the chooks can never get in with the pigs, or is it ok to let the chooks wander and let them learn for themselves if the pigs decide to have a nibble.
  • Are there any issues with putting pigs onto land that chickens have roamed.
  • Would you fence around any trees (8 year old fruit trees) in your pig pen. There are a few in there.
All advice gratefully received
Fiona

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Pigs and Hens on the same ground
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:54:49 am »
I'm pretty sure the chickens might be regarded as a nice snack by pigs, so would keep them separate...:-o

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 04:17:45 pm »
I did the exact same thing with mine earlier this year. My 2 Welsh gilts really liked the Black Rocks. Think they must have caught the birds nesting in the pigs bedding though as in the open the couldn't catch up with them. I tried to fence them off but one or three of the chickens must've had a death wish!!!
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 06:29:23 pm »
Our adult pigs definitely like a chicken or two every now and then. I've found that the chooks like to go and root about in the straw in the pig arks and sometimes they don't come out again. I've never seen this happen with any meat pigs that are obviously much smaller but I'm sure they'd scoff a chicken if they got the chance.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:27:06 pm »
my chickens fly into the pig pen all the time, nice easy pickings for them when the pigs have rooted up all the insects for them but yes, I have caught one of the pigs with a chicken under her foot trying to pull her feathers out but hey ho what can you do other than put up an 8ft fence. For the most part they get out of the pigs way when they need to.
would definitely fence off your fruit trees though
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 07:36:24 am »
Yes defo fence off the fruit trees with electric fence, otherwise they will just use them as scratching post, and once loose will dig them up. Especially when they are older and bigger.

My hens don't go into the pig's pen, even though right next to each other. But hens are not free-range and only rarely one gets out. Have seen the pigs chasing pheasant with a death wish though... but not sure they got him.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:27:03 pm »
I've occasionally moved weaners in with the chickens when I've been short of space. The hens learn to move quickly! The big problem is that the pigs eat the hens' food, so find somewhere above their reach where you can put it.
Can you use hurdles and/or electric fencing to separate the area?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:21:42 pm »
Sounds like I have been very lucky as my pigs have never touched my hens, chicks, geese, goslings, ducks, ducklings etc etc etc! They have however eaten eggs of any bird silly enough to lay in their pen! But never an a bird... I have even seem the hens jump on the back of a sleepy sow! My pigs have a large area to wonder and live outdoors with an ark all year round... Maybe that makes a difference? I have saddlebacks and they have all grown up together, I guess that also helps! Good job others replied first as I would have told you not to worry about it! Haha Aways learn something new on here, its great :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:40:42 pm »
My concern would be that the poultry might have salmonella.  Pigs are, of course, omnivores, even though the law now requires we feed them as herbivores. 

Cactus Jack

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Tortosa catalunya
    • stevel100
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 08:05:48 pm »
I have two hens living with my goats and pigs all in the same large enclosure. The hens clean up the pigs snouts at mealtimes and they all get on ok. The hens share the pigs food with no problems. Mine were all brought up together, there is definitely a hierarchy with three of the goats at the top then the chickens then the pigs, boar and all, then one little goat at the bottom(my favourite) :sunshine:

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 09:28:14 am »
A friend has a number of pigs, the boar being in is own area... they also have about 200 hens.... last year when it was wet and muddy, the hens that got into the boars area could not move fast enough in the mud.... he had a nice snack on a number of them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS