Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I set one of these last night.  (Read 3828 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
I set one of these last night.
« on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:27 pm »
I heard a squeaking sound coming from the canaries aviary as I walked past it last nigh and when. I shone my torch towards the noise, I saw a house mouse, so I quickly set one of these in there.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121076110853?showlimghlp=true&lpid=92&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=92&ff19=0
I've just this minute come back from a trip out into the countryside in my van, there were no less than five of the little beggars in the trap. I wasn't sure how I could humanely kill all five of them when I opened the lid, so I dropped them off  for a country themed holiday in the middle of nowhere. Needless to say, the trap has been reset in the same place.  :fc:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: I set one of these last night.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 03:36:12 pm »
And they won't find their way home? Reminds me of the time my son put empty juice bottle in the kitchen cupboard with mars bars at the bottom, every morning he went and tipped a few mice out in the field across the road.  We kept telling him it was the same mice  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:58:01 pm »
The thought had occurred to me, so I took them a fair few miles away. I suppose that really I should have killed them. :thinking:

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:59:24 pm »
 :roflanim: Sorry Bodger, i could just picture it

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:53:22 pm »
i couldnt have killed them either. how do you kill a mouse (except drowning which is sad) without getting bitten?

thats a good price. might get once.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 09:46:53 pm »
J & H that picture is so  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:21:35 pm »
Brilliant. :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 12:03:54 am »
i couldnt have killed them either. how do you kill a mouse (except drowning which is sad) without getting bitten?

Microwave them  ???  :roflanim:

Seriously...
 Feed them purchased legal mouse poison bait whilst you have the captive audience everyday till they snuff it.
Just don't be cruel to them & don't use your own home made recipe .

re:-   Moving them to another area and releasing them.

The Wild mammals enacted legislation of a couple of years ago  makes that illegal with mind numbing financial and confinement penalties if caught
 Now you've declared it here on the internet perhaps it is not such a good idea to broadcast as there will almost certainly be some anti or troll with nothing better to do hiding in the weeds gathering info .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

smithycraft

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 07:10:14 am »
Beware!

Years ago we had one of those traps and we would drive a few miles down the road to release them.

One day it was very windy and we were trying to hold the car door open and let them out.  One of them leapt back into the car.

Of course we couldn't find it.  It lived in there for some time and gradually chewed its way through the rear seat belts.

Cost us a fortune to replace them.

Never again.  We use the snap traps now.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:30:49 am »

Microwave them  ??? :roflanim:

Seriously...
 Feed them purchased legal mouse poison bait whilst you have the captive audience everyday till they snuff it.
Just don't be cruel to them & don't use your own home made recipe .

re:-   Moving them to another area and releasing them.

The Wild mammals enacted legislation of a couple of years ago  makes that illegal with mind numbing financial and confinement penalties if caught
 Now you've declared it here on the internet perhaps it is not such a good idea to broadcast as there will almost certainly be some anti or troll with nothing better to do hiding in the weeds gathering info .

Feed them poison rather than release them back into the wild in order to avoid antagonising antis or trolls?  :o I think you need to re think what you're suggesting. My solution, while not being ideal, is far more humane than being a spectator while captive mice die slowly from poisoning. I think that any prospective anti or troll, is far more likely to be on your case than mine. :fc:

Foxes are regularly trapped and relocated by animal welfare groups and although I haven't and wont be checking the regs that you've quoted, I think that you'll find that such restrictions may be directed towards the release of non native species such as North American Mink and Grey Squirrels.

In the meantime, what I think is my common sense approach of giving these pesky mice the chance to p*** off somewhere else to live, leaves me with a fairly free conscience and that, doesn't even take in to account the warm glow that I feel at having possibly given the local owl population a helping hand in the process. ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:35:15 am by Bodger »

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 08:26:31 am »

Microwave them  ???  :roflanim:

Strange and disturbing sense of humour you have there ???   

I am sure hundreds of people do exactly the same in releasing mice (I certainly have done) and a host of other wildlife to other areas rather than destroy them and as Bodger mentioned the owl population will be very pleased.   

Well done Bodger - I would have done the exact same thing as you.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS