Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which sheep breeds? (that old chestnut)  (Read 12615 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: which sheep breeds? (that old chestnut)
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 05:32:10 pm »
When we first acquired our Southdowns our (commercial) neighbour looked over the gate and said, "There maybe a reason why they're a rare breed."  Nine years on I told him that we charged the society auction upset price for our breeding stock and he said, "Oooh."  I agree it can be helpful to breed something that'll be recognised at the local market.  Around here a Jacob crossed with a Down breed is known as a "farmer's cross," because the lamb is so sweet the farmer keeps them to eat for himself! 

Lleyns were a failure for us.  Ewes very nervous and defensive and sisappeared to the end of the field every time they spotted a human - much worse when they had lambs - and although they scanned with triplets and quads none ever managed to raise more than twins.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 11:58:22 pm »
Lleyns were a failure for us.  Ewes very nervous and defensive and sisappeared to the end of the field every time they spotted a human - much worse when they had lambs - and although they scanned with triplets and quads none ever managed to raise more than twins.

That's the final nail in the coffin for lleyns then, although I still don't know how flighty the easycare's are - are they easycatch?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:26 am »
The lack of wool makes them quite difficult to hang on to until you get the knack. I wouldn't say they are better or worse than any other sheep breed. Wilts Horns can be a bugger though - although plenty of people on here seem to have no problem with theirs.

I haven't noticed my Lleyns being particularly flighty - and the key to not getting loads of multiples with them in my experience is not to flush them. I get the odd ewe with quads, but in general my Lleyns tend to lamb at about 180%,

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 09:15:38 am »
I had 20 Lleyns and they were on the same grazing as our 180% Southdowns and £160% Badger Faces and averaged around 280% - more in their second lambing.  Didn't overfeed them either.  We had a couple that prolapsed very late and dramatically and the vet was (expensively) involved - said they were in perfect condition for lambing.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:35 am »
Hmmm...might be because I bought full-mouthed ewes then, maybe. Does lambing percentage drop off with age?

Those lambing percentages sound like what you'd get out of Highlanders that hadn't been negative flushed.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 08:03:01 pm »
Lleyn is an improved hill sheep---it doesn't want messing around with. Stick it in a field with a bit of grass and leave it alone. It will then scan at 180/200% and wean 160/180% IF you leave it alone

Most problems with sheep are caused by people interfering---particularly at lambing, idiot shepherds who just can't but help stick their arm in a ewe when she is best left alone (rant over---for now)

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 08:08:59 pm »
What's more (2nd part of rant coming so watch out---)

When you are choosing a sheep to keep the breed of sheep you chose will be less important than where/who you get them from
There are lleyn flocks bred and fed indoors on high protein diets that have never had any selection applied for feet/prolapse/fecundity etc and they will deliver you all sorts of problems ---there are also Lleyns flocks that have had all the work/trouble bred out of them by thrifty farmers
Buy the first type and suffer the consequences
If you want good/functional sheep of any breed look for someone who doesn't show them and culls hard

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »
Sorry if I confused you about the flock number, we moved ours but maybe it is different in Scotland.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 08:24:23 pm »
What's more (2nd part of rant coming so watch out---)

When you are choosing a sheep to keep the breed of sheep you chose will be less important than where/who you get them from
There are lleyn flocks bred and fed indoors on high protein diets that have never had any selection applied for feet/prolapse/fecundity etc and they will deliver you all sorts of problems ---there are also Lleyns flocks that have had all the work/trouble bred out of them by thrifty farmers
Buy the first type and suffer the consequences
If you want good/functional sheep of any breed look for someone who doesn't show them and culls hard

I knew there was a reason...

In my mind....flushing...sounds expensive - don't think I'll bother, just keep em on short grass and see what happens....

I even managed to kick the dreaded lick bucket habit for most of the summer this year....

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 11:11:32 pm »
no worries MH, I was going to check at some point anyway - I was asking in case I found some sheep over the BH weekend.

going to see some easycares tomorrow (the expensive ones) but I suspect I'll have to travel some distance to get them cheaper, and for a small number that may not be economic.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 07:48:48 am »
We keep Lleyn      185% don't flush  don't hard feed don't keep indoors    not trouble free but good efficient grazers and wouldn't change them
although he has just bought me 3 Jacob ewe lambs for my big b'day pressie as when we first had them yrs ago it was absolutely the best meat..... :sunshine:

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 09:08:22 am »
It's the shepharding that makes the sheep flighty, not the breed.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 12:10:39 pm »
I totally agree with you! I've had manx, castlemilks and black welsh... All very easy to handle, and not escape artists or jumpers at all not to mention how low maintenance they are!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 01:45:34 pm »
Hmmm... 

Well, my lot are all reasonable to silly tame, but they still escape if there's a reason.

"A reason", apparently, can be that they hear me and want to come and meet me. ::)  Which is a shame, as I can't keep them in an otherwise extremely suitable roadside paddock. ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 03:19:24 pm »
I totally agree with you! I've had manx, castlemilks and black welsh... All very easy to handle, and not escape artists or jumpers at all not to mention how low maintenance they are!

hope so - certainly my shetlands were/is fairly docile - I've just agreed to take 4 easycares from a huge flock and they didn't seem very tame - don't know if I'll make much of an impression on them but maybe their lambs will be tamer.  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS