Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Campsie Show and Homes4Hens  (Read 4225 times)

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
    • Homes4Hens Glasgow Collection Point
The Campsie Show and Homes4Hens
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:56 pm »
Annie & I are quite friendly with Kathryn Vogel who runs the Homes4Hens Battery Chicken rescue centre near Dumfries so Annie organized a stand at our local show (The Campsie Show at Torrance) to try to do some fundraising for H4H and to try to raise awareness to the plight of Ex Battery girls in the hope that we could muster up some new homes.  Well the show went not too bad and Annie raised about £50 through a raffle and donations plus hopefully if the people who put their names down for rehoming come through about another 20 of these girls will have found a new home. :fc:
Annie & Kathryn are also trying to arrange a "Sponsor A hen" set up along the lines of ..regular updates on the chosen girl (chicken that is !!!) a birthday card and a Christmas card from her too all for a one of donation of £5

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
Re: The Campsie Show and Homes4Hens
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:07:35 pm »
PS...Not really sure if this thread should be here or in a different section of this Forum

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:39:57 pm »
How appropriate that Vogel is the German word for Bird!
Good luck.

Rgds
Sskye

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:58:47 pm »
Well  there you go I never knew that   :thumbsup: Only been on this Forum and learned something new already !!

Ionahenatlast

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 10:37:56 pm »
Well done on your campaign to raise awareness of the plight of these birds, i got my ex batts almost 2 years ago now and they are still going strong ( not laying regularly mind you) but they give me so much pleasure every day. If you have hens in need of a forever home then i will gladly have some, i would love to rehome some more but can't afford to go all the way to Dumfries so if you are more central Scotland I would be over the moon to help if i can.

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 09:49:19 am »
Well done on your campaign to raise awareness of the plight of these birds, i got my ex batts almost 2 years ago now and they are still going strong ( not laying regularly mind you) but they give me so much pleasure every day. If you have hens in need of a forever home then i will gladly have some, i would love to rehome some more but can't afford to go all the way to Dumfries so if you are more central Scotland I would be over the moon to help if i can.

There  would be no problem about you going to Dumfries as Kathryn has set up a collection point in Falkirk and we will be setting up a pick up point at our house in Lennoxtown too. So if you want some more girls we will get them to you some how.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:31 am »
Annie got me 4 ex-commercial free range birds 18 months back - oven ready, 1 deformed, all a joy to watch discover the true meaning of free ranging.  I still have 3 of those 4, including the deformed one that nearly died of exposure because it hadn't a clue how to go inside and roost  :-\ and one I nearly killed when it didn't think to step aside from a falling heavy weight  :o tho I'm not sure if any of them lay regularly now, I wouldn't grudge them a thing as they are all real characters.

If I had more egg customers and a bigger shed I'd take more and gladly, I love my hens  :chook: :love:
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:11:56 am »
Annie got me 4 ex-commercial free range birds 18 months back - oven ready, 1 deformed, all a joy to watch discover the true meaning of free ranging.  I still have 3 of those 4, including the deformed one that nearly died of exposure because it hadn't a clue how to go inside and roost  :-\ and one I nearly killed when it didn't think to step aside from a falling heavy weight  :o tho I'm not sure if any of them lay regularly now, I wouldn't grudge them a thing as they are all real characters.

If I had more egg customers and a bigger shed I'd take more and gladly, I love my hens  :chook: :love:

It really is a joy to watch these girls adapt to the freedom they get in their new homes  and as you say it would be a dull place without the characters that they are. You obviously look on your girls as we do ..if they lay eggs great if they don't ..................so what   :thumbsup:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:13:23 am »
i would help with that could take 25 later on for folk over this side of valley

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 10:15:32 am »
i would help with that could take 25 later on for folk over this side of valley

That would be excellent  where abouts are you located ?

Ionahenatlast

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:14:11 pm »

There  would be no problem about you going to Dumfries as Kathryn has set up a collection point in Falkirk and we will be setting up a pick up point at our house in Lennoxtown too. So if you want some more girls we will get them to you some how.

;D ;D  quickly runs to google Lennoxton  ;D ;D  well I'm only 1hour and 3 mins away according to google maps so i will take some for definite.
Oh i'm so pleased, i love my wee chooks and as Ellied said mine were oven ready too when i got them and terrified of the outside world, totally different wee characters now, i can't describe the pleasure i get from them.

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 01:35:56 pm »

;D ;D  quickly runs to google Lennoxton  ;D ;D  well I'm only 1hour and 3 mins away according to google maps so i will take some for definite.
Oh i'm so pleased, i love my wee chooks and as Ellied said mine were oven ready too when i got them and terrified of the outside world, totally different wee characters now, i can't describe the pleasure i get from them.

No worries we can even arrange to meet you half way and that would cut your journey down a wee bit too  :thumbsup: Either contact me on here or contact Kathryn at the Homes4Hens web site when you are ready and we can sort it out between us .   

Thanks  Alex. :thumbsup:

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 02:39:34 pm »
They are so rewarding, i have had my chooks about 2-3 weeks now..and what a difference in that time...
so glad i went for the rescue birds :thumbsup:

Wee Eck

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Lennoxtown Scotland
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:17:53 pm »
They are so rewarding, i have had my chooks about 2-3 weeks now..and what a difference in that time...
so glad i went for the rescue birds :thumbsup:

Hi John & Helen
Yes they are so rewarding and it is great to watch them really enjoy their new life  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS