Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Potting shed nearly done  (Read 3851 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Potting shed nearly done
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:22:12 pm »
Where once there was an asbestos roof, held up by rotting timbers and surrounded by all sorts of stuff to make its walls there is now a proper looking pitting shed. New door. New windows. Roof went on top of timber recycled from our house roof. Even put old fascia from the house on it and then gave it a lick of masonry paint. Loving it!

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
Re: Potting shed nearly done
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »
And there is the potting bench I've always wanted..... Just don't tell the wife I bought 100 of those fruits/veg crates you can see 50 of. Shhhh!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:18 pm »
It all looks very neat and tidy  :thumbsup:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »
You can never have too many crates! My parents bring over plastic ones that they get for free from bread deliveries or something? I use them for all sorts of things.

The potting shed looks brilliant. I live in hope that we'll have converted our Nissen hut to a potting shed/store/greenhouse/poultry rearing room by next year. I suspect I'll be living in hope for many a year yet.

H

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 06:37:52 am »
Very neat and tidy, you have done a great job there, how did you get rid of the roof as we have a grey asbestos one on our garage but will cover  it up rather than remove it,  we have a potting shed but it has a slate roof and we use it for a dog home/room....I actually have slept in it when we had pups and it was very cosy.
I love pallets, to me they are equivalent to Lego.... :innocent:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:22 am »
That looks fab, I am so envious!!  :excited:

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:44:36 am »
I knocked the asbestos roof down on a damp rainy day and then got it removed though I'm told many people just bury it as its low grade stuff. Given when we bought the place the surveyor suggested knocking down all the outbuildings as they were in such a state we are really pleased to have such useful things back in use.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:53:39 am »
our lean too looked a bit rough but we made it better very cheaply and very easily, silly to knock down when it can be fixed and  you have done a good job.
Just asked about the roof as some one.....just a door knocker said they could do our roof, low grade asbestos and get rid on the quiet...I told him "on your bike" no way do I want to pollute others and especialy as I saw sheets of the stuffed dumped in a forest where I walk the dogs..prob the same person. We had a quote to repair and cover as its the lesser of the 2 evils, it was £700 but its a big area..there must be loads of the stuff around!!

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 12:01:31 pm »
The other outbuilding still have the asbestos roofing held together with a carpet of moss. To be honest I may be tempted to bury it on my own land under a future flower bed, but not sure if I would be allowed.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 12:30:40 pm »
I was told you can make it safer by painting with something like PVA glue to keep fibers together.....maybe others know better......?
A builder came around yesterday and did not seem  bothered to cover it  up, they always leak and most old factories and garage type buildings have the same roofs.....worse stuff in buildings though, my daughter is doing up a house in Australia and the walls are often packed with the horrid type asbestos for fire reasons!!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 01:52:06 pm »
We've got old asbestos roofing on some tumble down sheds. When we do them up, I'm happy to pay a legit organisation to remove it and dispose of it. One of our family friends died of asbestosis a few years ago and it was an absolutely horrific way to go. Another friend's mum is dying now. Both women had absolutely no idea they'd ever been exposed to it. I realise you can't prevent all things but this is one I will do my utmost to avoid - bring in the men with masks and suits.
H

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 01:58:30 pm »
Yes it is horrible though the roofing stuff is of a lower grade than some of the other things made from it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS