Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just ordered my first nuc.  (Read 1703 times)

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
Just ordered my first nuc.
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:54:46 am »
I've finally got round to ordering a nucleus for the top bar hive I got last year. I got it just a little too late in the summer to get bees. I'll pick them up from the Beeman in Dumfries towards the end of May.
I've spent the last 18 months or so reading bee books, magazine articles etc and think it's about time I put my new found (very limited) knowledge to some use. Luckily, my friend used to be a beekeeper and will keep me right.
I'm looking forward to what I'm sure will become a very interesting pastime.
 :bee:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Just ordered my first nuc.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:09:21 am »
congratulations. Ive also spend the last year ready lots of bee books courtesy of my uncle who keeps bees. Unfortunatly the place I live at the moment isn't suitable to keep any bees at the moment but as soon as we find somewhere bees are one of the first things i'll get! :)

Keep us posted on how you get on, it will be good to get hear some experineces from a beginner like myself!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Just ordered my first nuc.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:55:12 pm »
We'll be in this together - I got my first two hives for Christmas and the nucs will be coming whenever they're ready. I tried reading the books but it was so confusing I had to go on a course and get some hands on experience too. Still don't feel quite prepared - especially as the course was last August/September - but hoping I'll remember enough. Meantime I've been decorating my hives in all sorts of exciting ways (landing strips for the bees, flowers, insects etc.). I'm sure my teacher (who is delivering the nucs) will think I'm completely crazy!

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS