Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: is this true doggy experts??  (Read 8961 times)

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
Re: is this true doggy experts??
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:42:37 am »
I also have a friend whose dog stole some raisins when she was making a cake. Yhis was before their poisonous nature was known & the dog died. She lost a dog she owned & bred which was starting to work very well & was devistated. I have also known dogs very ill after eating chocolate - mainly after getting expensive chocolate. One 13 year old collie nearly died. The owners had given it an easter egg every year with no trouble but got her a more expensive treat when she was old. I try to be very careful to keep things away from my dogs now
Rose

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:41:47 pm »
Real chocolate can kill dogs, yes.  It has to be the good stuff, with a high cocoa content.  A Smarties Easter egg is probably quite safe - although I wouldn't risk it.  Pukka Belgian chocolate - keep it locked away safely.

The one about raisins is a new one on me.  According to the posts yesterday, there's a mould which can grow on grapes and raisins, which is poisonous to dogs.  It's not the raisins per se.  But I'd never heard about it till yesterday so on this one I am definitely not an expert.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 02:01:24 pm »
 :wave: :wave: Pups and most dogs pick up stuff and eat what they find, I worry when I sell a pup to people with tiny children, children drop food all the time..unlike us adults  :innocent:
When anyone buys a pup its a good idea to have a crawl around the floor to see what the pup will find...wires!!!!!!!! they love wires!!!!! courners of walls, chairs, table legs, doors and mine started chewing the lead from our leaded door window in the kitchen, I did not even think about that one!!!!!
Any and all food dropped will be tried if not picked up soon enough so be careful!!!!!!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 05:31:16 pm »
Link to Advertising Standards Authority investigating

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news/asa-investigates-morrisons-xmas-ads/4005088.article

and Morrisons response which was :

“Of course we’ll help the Advertising Standards Authority and we’re sorry that we’ve caused concern to some dog lovers. We would never run any advert that encouraged poor pet care and we were very careful to take veterinary advice prior to filming the advert and we ensured we had a vet present during filming. The veterinary advice we received concluded that there would be minimal, if any, risk to a dog of serious toxic reaction should a small amount, in relation to its body weight, of Christmas cake or pudding be consumed on a one-off basis. We certainly aren’t recommending that dogs should be allowed to eat Christmas pudding. The adverts were part of a wider story and we’ll be moving to the next phase this week.”

On other words "Ooops, we balls'd up there!"

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 10:55:55 pm »
Or:

Don't let the dog in the house.  :P

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 11:06:51 pm »
There is no scientific findings for the cause of toxicity with raisins ( grapes ) or onions, an other kitchen foods. The fungi is only one area which may be responsible but the actual chemical responsible is unknown to date, so please be very careful with these products. A mouthful of raisins can kill a large dog as well as small. A bite of a high content cocoa chocolate can cause kidney failure. Please be vigilant, especially this time of year. It's not worth the risk  :dog: 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 07:18:17 pm »
My first German Shepherd Kelsey one Christmas found a large bag full of presents in our bedroom. She took each one out of the bag until she got to the chocolate santas that I had planned to hang on our tree.Not one present had a mark on it but that night she through up chocolate and the wrappings. Not even a guilty look on her face. she loved to get her present from under the tree on Christmas morning something I still do for the dogs I have now. :innocent:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 01:50:08 pm »
The 'phone or the fruit?!  :o

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 05:57:44 am »
Avocados is another one that's toxic to a lot of animals
Graham

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 07:12:49 am »
One of our dogs once ate about three kiloo of plums in one go!!!

I was doing jam, preped half left rest in the bucket (full) went out. Came back to no plums I thought I must have completed them untill the dog had the runs soon after we got home

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 08:30:53 am »
Whops......I notice my dogs watch me, although they normally cannot get at food they should not eat.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 08:49:44 am »
Avocados is another one that's toxic to a lot of animals

So is bleach

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 09:55:56 pm »
I always used to give the root ends of leeks to one of our dogs who loved them, until the vet said I shouldn't.  Also often gave them grapes as a treat so that is now stopped.  Wonder if it applies to goats as well as mine love raisins.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 10:10:01 pm »
As when we have children, its all a puzzel, we find out as we go along, at least the internet and forums like this help!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS