Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi From Norfolk  (Read 3024 times)

Dicky

• Joined Oct 2012
Hi From Norfolk
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:45:34 pm »
Hi all,
Have enjoyed looking round the site so thought I would join as it looks like there will be some really helpful information around.

Last year my wife and I bought a house with my parents with 4.5 acres of beautiful Norfolk countryside to fufil a dream of having a smallholding, and a perfect place to raise our kids.  We currently have chickens, geese, ornamental ducks, a horse, dogs, a big vege patch and 3 young children.

Our next project is probably going to be raising pigs, which I'm hoping to do after the winter, so there is bound to be some questions around that subject over the coming months.  I'd also really love to get in to beekeeping, and goats for milk and cheese.

Have a good day.

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Hi From Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 02:47:57 pm »
 :wave:from neighbouring cambridgeshire we breed pigs & parents breed goats both for showing so any questions give us a call
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:56:26 pm »
welcome from a chilly but dry central scotland!!!

Wendy@blueborage

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 03:40:57 pm »
Hello from further down south in East Anglia (Essex!)  Good luck with everything.

Wendy@BlueBorage

blueborage.blogspot.com

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:51:59 pm »
 :wave: Hi from across the country in Shropshire.  Definitely go for goats.  they are great fun as well as being productive.  And the milk  :yum: :yum:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 09:43:00 pm »
Hello and welcome from central Scotland  :wave:

Sounds like you have a nice place.

Beth

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 07:05:00 am »
Hi from a drear norh Cumbria  :wave:

Sounds like a great place to rear the children.  :)    We're a beef and sheep farm, so a house cow wasn't too big a thing for us to handle - but on 4.5 acres goats sound much more appropriate!  :D

We keep a few pigs for our freezer (and family and friends), so I'll look forward to hearing about your piggy ventures next year.

I thought I would get into beekeeping a few years ago (in my previous life) when I first got an allotment - but then I discovered that bees travel up to 3km (is it ?  or is it 3 miles? can't remember now) from the hive, and the regional beekeeper had 50,000 bees within 0.5km of my allotment, so there was no need whatsoever!   ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

speedywheelz

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:10:02 pm »
Hi from Norfolk also where about in Norfolk are you?

bangbang

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 07:22:03 pm »
Hi! :wave:

Warm welcome from snowy Aberdeenshire! :snowman:

downsized

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 07:31:46 pm »
welcome from driech Dumfries. You're safe I know absolutely nothing about pigs, goats or ducks :P

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 01:18:40 am »
Hi to you from snowy Moray

We've had pigs,dogs, chickens,geese, ducks, pigs, cats, cattle and sheep. No kids goats or an other.

Norfolk use to local to us,but now we've moved to somewhere with a few more contours on the map...

Good luck with your ventures.

Sue

gillsta

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Methlick Aberdeenshire
  • Gillsta
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 07:56:01 am »
A warm welcome despite the cold rotten weather here in Aberdeenshire.  :wave:
Showing and breeding Pygmy Goats
Always room for another goat as he will never notice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS