Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Runner Duck(ling)s  (Read 2790 times)

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
Runner Duck(ling)s
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:35:49 am »
Hello, I am very excited at the moment - an expectant mother if you will!!
One of my broody pekins (the best broody's by far that I have ever used) has been sitting on four runner duck eggs - and when I checked her earlier all four were pipping! I am under no illusions that I will actually get a 100% hatch, but it would be nice.  I will be checking her and the eggs again first thing in the morning....
Will keep you posted..Catherine.

sandy

Re: Runner Duck(ling)s
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:44 am »
How exciting, I am sure we are all keeping our fingers crossed!!!!

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 09:42:05 pm »
Whoohoo - 100% hatch - all four out, dried off and lovely and fluffy. So far, all four are managing to fit under their mum - but not sure how long that is going to last, as Pekins are not exactly huge.
Also had 6 piglets born this morning, another sow due tomorrow, and some of my quail eggs are hatching in the incubator as well - Babies galore!!!

sandy

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »
Guess smeone needs a stiff drink......ME!!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:18:25 pm »
Guess you have some busy days ahead of you, but well worth it. Congratulations.

catomell

• Joined May 2009
  • Knowstone, North Devon
    • West Kidland Farm
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 11:34:21 pm »
Ok - both sows now mummies - again - first one (Gabby) had 6, second one (Numer 2 - that's her name), had seven, so all normal there. The ducklings nearly gave me heart failure this evening, when I went to lock up my chickens (as their mum is a chicken, they are currently honorary members). Anyway, instead of four ducklings, there were only three - my first thought that was that in between feeding at about 5 p.m. and locking up, our friendly neighbourhood buzzard had paid a visit and pinched a duckling. I then discovered a rathole that has been chewed in the bottom of the (raised) house, and thought - Oh No, the duckling has fallen out through the hole and got lost in the grass. Three seconds later, my three dogs had found it - the spanielxcollie picked it up and on the drop command,  promptly dropped it in among a lot of very large dock leaves. After much searching, duckling retrieved and returned to mum, who appeared quite laid back about the return of the errant one!! So, all's well tonight!. Here's to tomorrow.
Cheers - am now going to have another beer......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS