Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sign of the times  (Read 8957 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: sign of the times
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 02:54:12 pm »
Girls,Girls you just keep on biting. :roflanim:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 03:42:02 pm »
Girls,Girls you just keep on biting. :roflanim:
Me bite - I'm a pacifist - well maybe a wee nibble  :roflanim:
No just being honest  - oh, & it's the KKs that are smaller, not my OH's family & friends  ::) :roflanim:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 03:49:50 pm »
BB    Lynne and i know each other     and i did not post for others to bite  as you describe or for others to read into it what they perceive

i very much doubt if any breeder is making money     but somebody must be with all the pigs that are thrown away with a token payment

it would be nice if somebody did weight record kunnies  even just to compare them     only asking :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 06:24:32 pm »
I'll do that, Robert. I am already keeping a record of feed bought for them.I will buy a measuring tape and record weight gain every couple of weeks. :pig: :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 06:36:43 pm »
I'll do that, Robert. I am already keeping a record of feed bought for them.I will buy a measuring tape and record weight gain every couple of weeks. :pig: :pig:
I've not got any wee ones left, but  :idea:  my 2 yearling gilts are due next month - I'm sure I've read/been told that it's not just the litters are smaller, but the piglets are smaller.  I've only had 1 gilt litter since last Summer, so I've not put much thought into this ...also wonder if the different lines will make much difference, as I have 2 boarlines & 3 sowlines, but an idea is forming  :idea:   
Like you Sylvia - it'll be the measuring tape method (I do already have 2 if I can remember where I put them  ::)  ) & I could set-up a spreadsheet to make records ... or does anyone out there have a tried & tested system?    :love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 07:07:46 pm »
you see that is more like it    no need to get all fired up and defencive    it is a helpfull forum    and if records of kunnie weights and gains also food given    you may just win the debate  who knows

from memory the kunnie piglets when born  were just the same size as the Tammie's    now don't all jump up and down in a rage    but also from memory  the piglets seamed to get fatter from mothers milk    maybe they have rich milk like channel island cows       anybody know anything more on this :farmer:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 07:37:39 pm »
We had  the Kune- Kune and they went to slaughter in March, our pork is very tasty. As we only rear for ourselves its not about making money. Today we got our 2 orphan lambs back from the butcher. cost from buying, milk, feed, slaughter and butcher £186. Sounds a lot but our butcher has priced it all out for us for what he sells in his shop. We have more than doubled in meat compared to our cost. To be honest I cannot afford lamb from the butcher.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 07:54:07 pm »
you see that is more like it    no need to get all fired up and defencive    it is a helpfull forum    and if records of kunnie weights and gains also food given    you may just win the debate  who knows
Of course we will Robert  :excited:

from memory the kunnie piglets when born  were just the same size as the Tammie's    now don't all jump up and down in a rage    but also from memory  the piglets seamed to get fatter from mothers milk    maybe they have rich milk like channel island cows       anybody know anything more on this :farmer:
I've been trying to research this - but no luck so far ...
 :love: :pig: :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS