Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AVERAGE PRICE OF RYELAND CROSS LAMBS PLEASE?  (Read 4299 times)

debbiehallard

• Joined Mar 2012
AVERAGE PRICE OF RYELAND CROSS LAMBS PLEASE?
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:06:56 am »
I have eight pedigree Ryelands already but just about to purchase some Ryeland cross ewe lambs from a nearby farm to start off my new flock for meat production.  What sort of price are Ryeland cross ewe lambs (born March/April this year) fetching at the minute?  We live in Staffordshire.  Advice on purchase price for 10 ewe lambs would be helpful.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Re: AVERAGE PRICE OF RYELAND CROSS LAMBS PLEASE?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:57:31 am »
I have Ryeland cross lambs born April which usually go to market in September.  I've never sold them privately but if I did I suppose I'd be looking for a minimum of what I'd hope to get at market when they are ready?  A good website to look on is Preloved Ewe Lambs, you can get an idea of what people are asking for their sheep.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:06:22 am »
If a Ryeland cross isnt a desireable thing for other reasons - a good price would be 10-20 quid above meat price.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:44 pm »
As a Ryeland cross is no different to any other meat breed, I wouldn't pay anything above meat prices. So ask vendors ( if you trust them) roughly what these lambs weigh  and offer @ £1.80/kg
If these were born March/April, and depending on whether they're singles or twins, they probably weigh between 20 - 30kg. So I personally wouldn't pay more than £50/animal.
But then I personally would not be selling animals that age at this time, as they'll regress when they're separated from their mothers and there's plenty of grass at the moment to let them grow on some more.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 03:37:56 pm »
Oh, I hadnt noticed when they were born. Those will want to be weaned July-Aug. Wouldnt pay more than meat price for them now. In fact, I wouldnt buy them now. At weaning, those good enough to keep should be woth a bit more than xeadweight, imo.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:21:36 pm »
I have just paid £80 fpr a Ryland x Poll Dorset and she  is worth EVERY PENNY...gorgeous.... she was born early Feb and is a stunner....solid and pretty.
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS