Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ducklings... HELP  (Read 2349 times)

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
Ducklings... HELP
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:53:13 pm »
I recently bought 3 Aylesbury ducklings, however they weren't sexed when I bought them. They have settled into their new home now, however I bought them at the Devon County Show, so am not sure how old they are or what sex they are.

They are starting to turn white, and are probably around 20cm high; what age would you put them at?

Also, sexing them, should I use the vent method or just wait until they are old enough for me to see for myself?

Thanks

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Ducklings... HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 12:02:44 am »
How recently did you buy them?

If they are starting to feather up from their downy yellow they are probably about 4-5 weeks but it can really vary both duck to duck and person to person (in terms of perception of change!).

Vent sexing is hard if you don't know what you are looking for and you can damage the duck. Also much harder as they get older and stronger. At this stage probably worth waiting for the quack!

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:32:57 am »
Last week.

Ok, cheers!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:29:44 pm »
once they have their white feathers, look for a "drake feather" - a little upwards curly feather on the back, in front of the tail.

or listen for the quack vs croak!
Little Blue

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 11:01:59 pm »
I love their little curly tails on the boys! Best listen for the quack though as the sex curls only come at the second moult into their nuptial plumage at about 20-24 weeks of age.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »
I love their little curly tails on the boys! Best listen for the quack though as the sex curls only come at the second moult into their nuptial plumage at about 20-24 weeks of age.

thanks - I couldn't remember how long we have to wait til the curls show!
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 04:45:30 pm »
sexing them can be hard or maybe I'm just utter rubish at it  - we had one adult IR with a curly tailfeather that quacked! Because "she" was quite agressive went back to her former home and none of us still knows what she is  ;D ;D . for sure you can tell when they start laying  ;D ;D :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS