Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urgent please help - lame runner duck  (Read 2175 times)

Tree Farmer

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Herefordshire
Urgent please help - lame runner duck
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:51:34 am »
(Sorry I know this isn't poultry, I have posted in 'other animals' too but thought chicken people might be able to help...)

I have three runner ducks (drakes) and this morning have noticed that one of them is limping, I could see what looks like a bit of dried blood on his side, and then I could see there is a nasty tear in his foot :(

He is getting around with the others okay, limping and holding up his foot or sitting down.

Goodness knows how this has happened - they are safe in a duck house at night, and have an electric fence around them too so any kind of predator attack is unlikely.

I am guessing it happened yesterday - when we put them to bed last night they were already in their duck house so I didn't notice anything amiss.

What should I do? Is a trip to the vet the best thing?

Or are torn flippers one of those things that happen and will heal up?

Should I separate him from the others?

Please, anyone that has any advice I'd be very grateful.

While awaiting replies I am going to start phoning around local vets practices to see if anyone is good with ducks.

Thanks
Charlotte

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Urgent please help - lame runner duck
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:07:49 am »
As long as infection doesn't set in, he should be fine and it will heal up ok on it's own. I would spray with an antiseptic (ie. purple spray) and keep an eye on it for puss/absess, in which case he will need antibiotics. In my experience ducks are pretty bomb-proof and heal very quickly.
I would also check around their enclosure to see if you can find anything he may have cut himself on, loose wire, old nails etc so that it doesn't happen again.
I wouldn't seperate him unless the others start to bully him, they don't like being on their own.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Urgent please help - lame runner duck
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:40:42 pm »
We've had different injuries here over the years. If you can separate him for a while it would probably be easier to monitor for you and it might be better if he'd not be running around trying to keep up with the others too much for a few days. Small injuries in the web did heal by themselves, but I don't have experiece with larger ones. Sorry to disagree with you ,nic99, we had to isolate a duck for a few months with an injured leg and she was not particularly unhappy about it - she now decided to go broody instead of running around, maybe boredom induced  ;D :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS