Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very tempted...  (Read 2268 times)

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
Very tempted...
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:30:57 pm »
Once we get the building work out of the way, I'm very tempted to get a couple of pygmy goats. So from the experts out there... what should I consider... what do I need etc etc... We have a stable for them to sleep in and plenty of paddock (no other animals). Any comments/suggestions will be gratefully received.

Jonathan

www.escapedtothecountry.com

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Very tempted...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 12:00:39 am »
Go for proper goats.  By that I mean Sanaans of course.   :goat: Calm, placid, intelligent, affectionate and the milk is lovely.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:08 am »
Or Toggenburgs  ;)

You would also need very secure fencing (consider electric wire too!), to make sure that you have nothing toxic to goats bush/tree/plant wise in your paddock.
Any particular reason for Pygmies? are you looking to breed or just pets  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:20 am »
I can help with pure Saanens  or indeed  placid Nubians.

escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
  • www.escapedtothecountry.com
    • Escaped to the Country
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:11:05 am »
Pygmies just because they are small and (silly I know) look nice. Not intending on breeding just more as nice to have. We are a long way off getting anything as chickens are on the list, so investigating what may work for us.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:35:22 pm »
or Bagots?
Rare breed, a little bigger than pygmies but still smaller than most others.
Can be milked, make fantastic crosses if you wanted milkers in the future

there's a Bagot society (not that impressive, but the photos & info on website are good) and info on the RBST
:)
Little Blue

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:49:38 pm »
Well I vote for pygmy's but I biased - they are cute, funny and have some lovely colours. Our's are contained with standard stock fencing. The need access to their shelter 24/7 as they don't to rain or even damp!! They don't eat very much grass and need hay all year round but I can live with that - if you need any further info feel free to call and ask all the questions you can think of. 01771 613826 Clare
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 08:21:01 pm »
Hi, I vote for Boer's, so placid, so laid back, follow you around just like puppy dogs. I love Boers :thumbsup:

Bangbang

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »
 My first choice would be Pygmy's, and second, and third.....there great fun, full of character but useless at playing football. ;D ;D

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 08:42:22 pm »
Toggenburgs! Lovely, laid-back goats!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS