Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: De-budding  (Read 6483 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: De-budding
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:59:45 am »
You have to operate with horns in mind, but that becomes second nature. My sheep, until recently, were a horned breed too, so you just adapt.

I have one horned goat and 2 dis budded.  Like Jaykay I've learnt to do what needs to be done with horns in mind - such as bending down to put the bolt across on the gate and making sure I lift my head back up gradually if Vanna is there.  I've had a horn in the ribcage, that hurt a bit.
Personality wise my horned goat is very placid, she's not used her horns on the others - touch wood.
I didn't intentionally buy a horned goat to go with my non-horned, they came as a herd.

When there are new animals, she wears hose pipe on her horns (cut an inch too long at the top so you get a floppy-ish bit) as recommended by a breeder friend of mine.

am dreading having to get the kids done  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 05:40:22 pm »
Love the hosepipe idea!  My Billy has horns that curve round and spike you in the leg - I've been told tennis balls on the ends!

One more horn bit of info - I was worried about catching mine by their horns (sometimes easy, often a sneak-up) and asked at the ADAS meeting if it was ok - the vet's reply was it is OK to use the horns - they see more injuries of necks from collars than horns

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 08:05:10 pm »
Love the hosepipe idea!  My Billy has horns that curve round and spike you in the leg - I've been told tennis balls on the ends!

next christmas I WILL make antlers to stick to hosepipe - she will come carol singing  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 09:47:32 pm »
Oh, that's it, mine are definitely having antlers next Christmas  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS