Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: home needed for Eric  (Read 2989 times)

alexander

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Macduff Eastwemyss
home needed for Eric
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:34:48 pm »
Devastated at having to do this  :( but we are having to look for a new home for our grey silkie cockerel, Eric

He's very well natured, albeit a bit clumsy. He found his voice a few weeks ago which wasn't a major problem but he has started crowing throughout the night as well. Not a problem for us but its not going down well with the neighbours ( understandably). His coop is completely dark at night but this doesn't make any difference

We are in Fife and can travel a reasonable distance to deliver. We just want to find a good home for him.

Poor Eric needs somewhere asap  :( :(

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: home needed for Eric
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:25:29 pm »
Alexander, you might try putting him in a box at night. I have just been reminded of a friend who did this with her cockerel and it worked. She would let him out at what her neighbours deemed "a reasonable hour". He got so used to this that he would get in the box as soon as it appeared. You could keep the box in the hen-house or indoors. Worth a try? :chook:
Eric is a nice name for a cockerel, mine are Treeve Treherne, Brian and Roger :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:14:54 pm »
My Jamie had to go too, due to neighbours on shift work being wakened by him during the day, although, he WAS  getting aggressive too.  He put his own advert on Gumtree, talking about packing his little suitcase and that his Mum loved him but her neighbours were going to shoot him etc, and that he was looking for some nice young ladies to keep him company.  ;) ;D I had three people wanting him. ::)  He went to live with some black rock ladies and a  lovely family with teenage children.  I receive emails from him occasionally too. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 07:18:21 pm »
My Jamie had to go too, due to neighbours on shift work being wakened by him during the day, although, he WAS  getting aggressive too.  He put his own advert on Gumtree, talking about packing his little suitcase and that his Mum loved him but her neighbours were going to shoot him etc, and that he was looking for some nice young ladies to keep him company.  ;) ;D I had three people wanting him. ::)  He went to live with some black rock ladies and a  lovely family with teenage children.  I receive emails from him occasionally too. ;D

I think that's so sweet  :chook:

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:14:11 pm »
He is welcome to join my menagerie...

I got white ladies that he couldlive with ....

I am in Leuchars...

But maybe you should try the box trick first.....

:thumbsup:

alexander

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Macduff Eastwemyss
Sunday morning update
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 11:43:52 am »
First of I would like to say a big[Thankyousize=12pt][/size] for all the help.

We have been letting eric go to bed with the girls at dusk then at 11ish we pop him quickly in a cardboard box with vent holes and fold the top down, leaving him in the coop with his hare em. Two nights now and no crowing. We let him out his box after 8am and today at 10.30 and he has a little strop like a two year old that hasn't gotten his own way, its so funny. So it looks like another successful result thanks to the tas forum members.

Got to go hang up a cabbag for the 6 rocks and 5 ex bats, put the great Danes out in their run and go to work.

Best regards  Martin 

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 10:13:37 pm »
Glad its working, understand its because they cant rise up and stretch neck to crow.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS