Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhodedendron  (Read 9420 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Rhodedendron
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 08:47:23 am »
Thanks all.  :thumbsup:

It's a big relief. He's our least valuable sheep in money terms, but the one we'd miss most!  :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 08:57:42 am »
I've been sending reiki, it might not have made a difference - but I'd like to think it helped  ;)

Glad he's on the mend  :bouquet: 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 09:34:43 am »
Woollyval said to make him sick but I was under the impression sheep can't vomit.

We asked the vet about that and he said that ruminants can't vomit. Vomiting is expelling contents from the stomach - ruminants don't have the muscle structure round the rumen to expel the contents. What they may do is regurgitate stuff from the oesophagus, which DOES have the right muscle structure - so it looks like vomiting but technically isn't.

The poison was affecting the oesophagus - Dickie couldn't swallow, which was why he was foaming at the mouth. He wasn't producing more saliva than normal (ruminants produce a lot of saliva) it was just that he couldn't swallow properly.

I think this accurately reflects what the vet told us. So much to learn  :)

But Dickie is fine now. Happy to be back out on the grass, although last night, when I went through their paddock to shut in the hens, they tanked up to the gate behind me - don't know if they fancy having nights in and days out  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 09:35:28 am »
I've been sending reiki, it might not have made a difference - but I'd like to think it helped  ;)

He seems pretty chilled - just glad something worked. Thank you  :bouquet:

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 11:45:08 pm »
3 of my Gotlands ate something in neighbours garden, I think a badger forced the gate! And they wandered in. Vet said all evergreen are poisonous to sheep, was his 5th case in a week and prescribed liquid paraffin, charcoal and vit injection. To make poison pass quicker absorb toxins and protect liver. Vet got it right all are now well, last one I went to him with died !
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS