Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost Owl....  (Read 4302 times)

tonka236

• Joined Jul 2011
Lost Owl....
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:09:19 pm »
Please be aware of a lost European Eagle Owl in the west midlands area (lost tonight in Wolverhampton althou now could be further afield). It has jesses on and a leash. They are big birds (6ft wingspan), she is semi hand-reared so might struggle to survive in the wild. If seen please please let me know ASAP.

Europeans look like ...

for those not in the know

Cheers

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Lost Owl....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:30:13 pm »
Do hope this owl is found quickly - although large, other birds do tend to attack, and obviously if its tame, it will not fend for itself.

I am fully aware of the size of these owls, having encountered one on our lane one winters afternoon.   I have seen owls reguarly, but nothing prepared me for the sight of one of these giant ones walking towards me.  At the time I thought it was going to attack me, but think it wanted me to pick it up ....errr....nooooo t was massive!!

Do not know if it was let loose or escaped, but I rang our local owl sanctuary.  I think they thought I was talkng about a barn owl, because they told me to throw a coat or rug over it, and making sure I did not get bitten or scratched by its talons, put it in a cardboard box and take it to them.  I think they did not believe me when I said I dd not have a coat or box big enough to put the thing in ....do not know what happened to the owl after that.

tonka236

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:36:09 am »
Just to clarify the owl escaped from a demonstration we was at. She was just getting tethered back to her perch when she took off. Its one of those (un)perfect timings....

I am fully aware of the size of these owls, having encountered one on our lane one winters afternoon.   I have seen owls reguarly, but nothing prepared me for the sight of one of these giant ones walking towards me.  At the time I thought it was going to attack me, but think it wanted me to pick it up ....errr....nooooo t was massive!!

Weirdly enough your not the first person Ive heard to tell a story like that. Owls are cute and most wont attack unless they feel threatened...kinda like a person really

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:10:59 am »
i think it was last year we had a rouge eagle owl flying around above us that had escaped from a falconer in the local village, it took him ages to get her back! thankfully she had found plenty to eat and had hardly lost any condition.
 good  luck finding this one  :thumbsup:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:58:20 pm »
any news yet  ???
hopefully not too worried about the fireworks
Mx

tonka236

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:55:52 pm »
any news yet  ???
hopefully not too worried about the fireworks
Mx

I'm afraid nothing to report back with. The owner was out and about for quite a few hours today in the area she fled from but with no luck. On the same night there were numerous displays happening so unfortunately she might be further away due to that.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 12:03:08 am »
Owls obviously come out at night to hunt, so quite rare to see in daytime.  I am wonderng if this one, beng tame, will be around in the daylight, otherwise it could be quite hard for anyone to spot it.  I am sure someone, somewhere will see it, quite hard to miss.  But if its been scared by fireworks, it may have taken cover for a while.

I love owls.  Was at a animal sanctuary fund raising day a couple of weeks back, and a man had brought two owls from his sanctuary.  Had a lovely chat with him about owls, and he let me stroke his gorgeous owls.

anna77

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:37:58 am »
I was just wondering has the lost owl been recovered?

tonka236

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:36:24 pm »
I was just wondering has the lost owl been recovered?

Unfortunately still nothing seen of the owl. There has been a phone call from someone who claimed to have it and did not want a reward but instead a RANSOM!!! When asked to supply a photo the line went dead and nothing heard off since.
Has times gotten so bad that people are treating to new lows like this?

saruhath

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 08:55:55 pm »
Hi, Thought I caught a glimpse of a large owl a couple of weeks ago with the thingy dangling from its leg, but wasn't 100% sure. Definately saw the same bird in the same place today so did a search and found this site/post. Pm me for the details/my number. I'm in Leicestershire. Cheers, Shane :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS