Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unknown Holes!  (Read 2819 times)

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
Unknown Holes!
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:25:16 pm »
Hello

I wonder if you can help.... Whilst gardening today we found about twenty holes, some in the lawn, some in the beds of the garden.  They are about 7cm in diameter and have no obvious scurrying near them, just round holes.  We thought it may be a mole as there is a mole in the orchard, but they are not the same.  I am thinking it could be voles?  or rats?  I would appreciate any ideas.
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

deepinthewoods

Re: Unknown Holes!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:25:54 pm »
rats.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:05:13 pm »
I'd agree. Rats!

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 08:21:10 pm »
Thank you for the answers (I think)- :) I hoped you were going to say something other than rats!  Need to find myself a good local catcher now.

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:30:50 pm »
get a pair of feisty cats!!

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:38:17 pm »
get a pair of feisty cats!!

That is the really strange thing.  We have two cats who are amazing mouse, bird, rabbit, mole catchers etc so hence our surprise at the holes.  They bring us at least 1-2 'presents' a day and spend a lot of time in the garden, so we thought they would keep on top of things like that!

deepinthewoods

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »
my cats only get allowed in the house in the morning and get kicked out at dusk, maybe try that?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:33:06 pm »
Apart from the size, they sound like bank vole holes - but they are only about 3.5 to 4 cm in diameter.  Rat holes usually have a smooth appearance to the ground where their tails have dragged...........
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:45:45 pm »
Apart from the size, they sound like bank vole holes - but they are only about 3.5 to 4 cm in diameter.  Rat holes usually have a smooth appearance to the ground where their tails have dragged...........

Thank you I will go and look more closely in the morning and measure them with a ruler.  My size estimates are normally pretty bad.  I will look for other evidence too.

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:46:51 pm »
my cats only get allowed in the house in the morning and get kicked out at dusk, maybe try that?

They are very human cats and do go to bed at 11pm and wake up at 6am so maybe should persuade them to have a few nights out!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS