Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dustbathing when there's mud  (Read 3189 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
dustbathing when there's mud
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:04:10 am »
What do hens do when the dusty areas they use are wet?  I was going to buy diatom powder to add to the spot but reading it resembles talc I'm wondering if it's a waste of time and will just be sludge in 10 minutes..

I have some sharp sand in the garage, about half a wee bag left from last winter - would it be worth putting out a layer of sand for them to roll around in or do they have less to deal with in winter and not need it?
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: dustbathing when there's mud
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:09:51 am »

They just seem to get by to be honest. Have you ever noticed that it seems to be sunshine that brings on the dust bathing, rather than the presence of actual dust?  This being the case, I don't think our lot will be attempting any until at least May now!

We did try providing a covered area full of sand and dust for them, but the cats just thought it was a giant litter tray, so we soon abandoned that idea!!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:23 am »
hi
ours just get by too ;)
i agree they tend to dust bath when its warm
Mx

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:04:23 am »
In the winter when it's snowy we have been letting ours dust bathe in the polytunnel - but obviously if you have growing plants you can't do that. 
Do you have a covered area, under the hen house perhaps (for us it's under the Series 3 Land Rover which is awaiting renovation) where you can put soil, sand, wood ash and some diatom powder?
Ours do dust bathe in the winter but as Womble says they usually do it when the sun is shining  :chook:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 05:37:30 pm »
Coop is only a few inches off the ground so not under there, and I don't have a polytunnel, but I could put something together within their run if they need it - I certainly have the sand and plenty wood ash, and could get diatom as planned..

But if they don't need it I may leave them to it, I just didn't want to be neglectful of their needs, this is my first winter with chooks..
Ellie Douglas Therapist

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 05:52:56 pm »
Mine have a dry area in their run but they just don't use it in the winter. No idea why ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:06 pm »
could it be possible to increase the height of the house? just thinking as that would stay dry the longest i think plus it would stop any vermin you may/maynot get  under there if the chooks could get under there when it rains they would love it but then  you could stick a hand full into the dry soil each week and give them another shelter other than the house?  maybe an option may not just my pennies worth.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:06 pm »
Mine dustbath in the new shavings when I clean out their houses, plus I have a covered tray of silver sand that they like, to which I add louse powder.

My feeling is that they only 'bath' less in the winter cos there's less dry dust available and if there is suitable stuff they will?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:08 am »
I think that's it jaykay.  Mine really love being able to dust bathe in the polytunnel in the winter - they queue up outside the door until I let them in
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 08:07:37 am »
Mine really love being able to dust bathe in the polytunnel in the winter - they queue up outside the door until I let them in

What a delightful picture that must be. Chickens are brilliant.  :D

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:22:44 am »
Well I was clearing out the grate yesterday so as it was a rare dry day I decided to tip the wood ash in the run and add some sharp sand to see what happened - they started by trying to peck at it and a couple hours later there were 2 chooks lying on their backs just about and having a whale of a time :D

This morning of course it's damp ::) but I guess I have my answer..

The coop is an ebay buy so other than trying to lift it onto bricks (which I can't at present as I've damaged both shoulders ::) ) I reckon it's easier to create a separate dry area behind the solid panelled area or maybe in the old dustbin on its side ???  Thinking cap on but I still want some of the wood ash for the compost so they'll have to wait for the next but one container :)
Ellie Douglas Therapist

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:33:10 am »
I put my sand in a big gravel tray and have bodged a roof above it with a piece of clear perspex left over from making rooflights in the byre.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 06:11:24 pm »
my flock have adopted  a raised bed that has a huge conifer growing out of it, clearly its well draining & well sheltered as they love rolling around inder there ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS