Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from La Creuse. France  (Read 3236 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Hi from La Creuse. France
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:21:32 am »
Having visited this site many times I think it time I get on the Forum. We moved here last March and somehow managed to get the house in some kind of order whilst planting up the garden. The garden was grazed by cattle (pink veal really) up until we moved in. Time was against me so rather than dig and "weed" I cut out turfs to make my veg beds. The soil is stone free, light, retains water and rich in organic matter. That said I needed to fight my way into one of our barns and cut out several loads of very dry cattle manure that I used to top dress the veg beds ( having re hydrated it with numerous cans from our little stream).
In brief we planted out seed and trees and despite a very dry spring ( we have our own spring water) we were collecting our own veg in May. Chickens arrived soon after we moved in and our breeding ducks gave us an egg within 20 minutes of them moving in. We had 7 ducklings in early June.
Fortunately we have a piggery for our 2 pigs to move into in June.
we have just 3 elderly neighbours all over 80 years - we trade surplus veg, eggs or portions of duck with them. These ladies have fed our pigs, ducks and chickens almost every day with their excess salad and veg. We have been collecting plumbs apples, pears, peaches acorns and walnuts to feed the pigs or store. We have not purchased any pig feed but we do feed them 2 eggs a day and any fish scraps.
Wood is plentiful and we have about 20 meters of logs that I found and cut or bought from a local farmer. We have a log burner that runs 7 rads as winters are very cold here in central France.
We are certainly accidental smallholders and have dramatically changed our diet, menus and grocery shopping habits for the better. We spend little on our food and love the life on our accidental smallholding . Oh - yes it is hard work and I lost a lot of weight but discovered the joy of honest hard work, sore hands and daily minor cuts and bruises etc
Looking forward to learn from others and maybe share experiences (successful ones so far).
Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hi from La Creuse. France
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:39:44 am »
Hello and welcome from sunny, frosty Carnoustie! :wave:

Sounds like a wonderful set up you have there. A few ex-pats n here from time to time  ;D

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:50:52 am »
Hi from another ex=pat in Eastern Germany.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:21:00 pm »
It's lovely to hear people's stories.  Welcome Martin  :wave: from cold wet (though thankfully not so wet today) north Cumbria.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:25:40 am »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 08:43:28 am »
Hi - welcome from the Charente Dept 16.  This is a brilliant site - loads of interesting info.  We also keep pigs, sheep, turkeys, chickens etc and have 2 sheep dogs and 6 cats of our own plus half a dozen of the neighbours cats who come for a feed.  As regards the pigs just be aware that treats such as apples,pears, nuts etc is not sufficient to keep a pig growing and in good condition.  They do need their pig nuts, farine and vitamins.  Are they free-ranging?.  Ours are kept in arcs outside but nearer the time for farrowing the females will be brought inside into a barn where there is electricity etc.  This will be out first litter although we did take on a tamworth female with 9 little piggys.  The previous owner couldnt afford to feed them - I think I know why now as they have gone through countless bags of food in the five weeks since we have had them.  The weaners are pretty much ready to go now.  Best of luck in your smallholding adventures - as you say it is hard work but very rewarding.  If we can help in any way PM us.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:41:53 am »
Hello and welcome from Central Scotland!

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 06:51:54 pm »
hello and welcome :wave:
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:26:25 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from sunny Shropshire.  Love the sound of your lifestyle and, being a backgarden smallholder (more of a micro holding really), I am rather envious.  :goat:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS