Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can you keep poultry for pleasure and proffit?  (Read 4803 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
can you keep poultry for pleasure and proffit?
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:08:21 pm »
Hi All,

When I first started with chickens I did the sums and accepted that they were strictly for pleasure and there was no money to be made in them. But as my flocks have grown and I have sold some here and there and sold my surplus eggs too I wonder if I could at least break even.

Do any of you make it pay? Or even generate a regular contribution towards costs? And if so How?

Buffy

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
Re: can you keep poultry for pleasure and proffit?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:52:30 pm »
I think I am breaking even at the moment. If I looked at the figures a bit closer and really accounted for everything spent on the chickens in a year, I am not sure I would break even. We're selling the eggs from 50 layers, we've hatched and brought on to POL another 30 girls but sold 10 to help pay for the feed. Got another 30 growers to add to the feed bill too & full incubators. Generally... per month what we take at the gate on sales usually covers our feed bill for the month.

My plan to cut costs are:
Only use returned egg boxes or not supply any at all at the gate. Will stop buying 1200 grey egg boxes a time.
Sell older hens for a couple of quid a piece before they completely stop laying.
Dispatch the 15 non-laying old hens in retirement home.
Sit on eggs myself to save the 60w incubators electricity for 9 months hatching season.
Re-home dog & cat.       ....but if they laid eggs....  O.o

Make more profit:
Put up egg prices.
Charge for boxes.
Start an egg round, maybe even get registered and produce & pack Class A eggs.

(Disclaimer: Some of the above comments & suggestions are meant to be taken as humour, tongue in cheek)

:thumbsup:
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:46:01 pm »
hi
we have 18 layers left, they have done well so far with laying and we cover cost of feed and other bits (we get origostem which keeps them well -hopefully) with a bit extra (not much)- but i suspect it will break even when they moult/stop over winter.
we plan on incubating to replace POL expenses.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:25:36 pm »
Thanks guys,

so if egg sales just about cover the feed bills, is there any return on the sale of birds?

Buffy

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »

so if egg sales just about cover the feed bills, is there any return on the sale of birds?

We're planning to sell another 10 growers once they reach POL, I don't think there is much profit in it. I'm going to be putting the money towards the electricity bill for running the incubators and heaters.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:56:13 am »
I sell eggs to friends and neighbours (family get theirs free) This doesn't cover the cost of feed but our free-range organically fed hens give us good, cheap eggs.
I hatch and rear Cornish Game/Light Sussex and pure Cornish Game. The pullets go to market and the cockerels go in the freezer or to family. We get our chicken meat (again free-range and organically fed) free or very cheap depending on the market for the pullets.
The sheer pleasure in hatching, rearing and keeping poultry............priceless :) :)

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:26:29 pm »
There is one way ,we have 58 pens some eggs sell for hatching and some for incubate fills you need to sell Att the sales as well. Take last week Att CarlIisle iff you re birds are turned out well  they will make £70 to a £100 for a pen, 5 pens att each sale should turn £350 and some breeds pay more than others .but you need very good stock ass well as a breed that people will wont.iff you keep the best you can get they will always sell well .The price off feed etc . you could have bought the best trio off road island reds for £60 pound best off breed and increased them to say 20 hens then sell the trio to cover the £60 pound cost in the spring when prices are high .then get 2 cock birds to cover the 20 hens .you then have hatching eggs and stock to a high standard .there are 2 sales left 1 is in                                                           http://www.lawrie-and-symington.com/sale-dates/                  prices should be low but stock high .                                                     

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:10:16 pm »
no profit here. all money from eggs goes towards their feed, bedding and any extras like wormer, grit,etc. This spring it took the birds forever to get out of the red in their "account"  ;D due to the hard winter. I'm fine if I don't have to pay on top! :&>

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:34:24 am »
I breed Croad langshans and will be going to my local rare breed sale next week to see what prices they go for and how mine compaire. I have also recently aquired some specled sussex and hatched some orpingtons and brahmas I will have a look at them all at the show and then put my birds in the April show ans see how I get on.

I will continue to breed my birds for pleasure but its nice to think that they could at least earn a little towards their keep.

Buffy

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »
we have 50 layers from these we sell eggs this buys the food , bedding etc for all the chickens , we also breed this year silkies and brahmas the sale of these have allowed us to buy more breeds to expand next year , selling chicks also allows us to purchaes the turkeys to sell at xmas so in all it never cost us any money but we only end up about £150.00 in profit after the turkeys have gone not taking into account the time it takes to dispatch and dress them (about 8-10 hours work 2 of us)
sam.t :chook: :turkey:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:56:21 pm by sam.t »

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 05:44:13 pm »
Thanks Sam.T

that's really useful. Do you supply businesses with eggs or individual customers?

Buffy

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 07:09:02 pm »
We just supply individuals (friends and neighbours) we charge £1.50 per dozen warrens and when we sell breeding eggs they £1.00 each and day old chicks (unsexed) £3.00 - £4.00 each

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:57:54 am »
Thanks Sam,

I suppose that your warrens lay well and all year through. My rare breeds are good layers but not as good as warrens. Im thinking of buying a trio of turkey poults what breed would you recomend?

Buffy

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 11:12:00 am »
i think we need swop's off breeds 12 eggs sent free for 12 eggs back that way we would have fantastic stock all over UK .iff you done Friday till Monday and then send the eggs fresh .and only do it iff you can  except that they could fail.

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 11:12:40 am »
the warrens lay between 35-40 eggs a day but my breeders are either too young not started yet or the others are moulting at min .
dont know the name of the breed of turkeys we buy they are the white double breasted ones we tried the bronze but they are so hard to pluck (think their feathers go right through ) but we`ve never had a problem with these and theyu taste so nice so we now just buy these ones
sam :chook: :turkey

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS