Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Milking question...  (Read 2317 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Milking question...
« on: July 30, 2011, 12:15:03 pm »
Hello  :)

Just got a couple of perhaps dizzy questions re:my milker!

Savannah is a maiden milker and currently producing between 4 and 5 pints a day. The milk came in along with the new and lush grass in spring so I'm making something of an assumption here that it will naturally dry up come autumn?
As she is only producing this much, could she be milked once a day rather than twice? her udder is never overly hard, hot or tight come second milking of the day but I obviously don't want to make her ill by not milking often enough  :-\

thank you!
Lisa 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Milking question...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 01:11:52 pm »
I would continue with twice a day just to keep the milk coming and to prevent mastitis, are you going to mate her  this Autumn ?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:22:51 pm »
no. she's being joined in the autumn by a pregnant (new) friend.  so I'll keep going with the twice daily  :)  is there a point in time where I should only do it once a day?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 09:04:22 pm »
If the yield starts to drop off drasticaly then you can dry her off , but as long as she is giving , keep taking.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:27:47 pm »
When my goats' yield fell towards Autumn I would go to once a day milking. Have a look at the fiasco farm website - they have some good tips.

Katie

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 08:34:29 am »
Thank you  :)

will keep taking and freezing then to see me through winter.
We might get a few days away with the children and am hoping that the yield drop will fall in line with then so my milking friend doesn't have to drive over twice a day, although I know she won't mind too much if she does need to as she's in love with these 2 goats  :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS