Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi to all  (Read 5814 times)

manders

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Collessie
Re: Hi to all
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 09:25:59 am »
Welcome to the forum  :wave: By reading your post you seem quite delighted at getting a repo house. You may have a bargin, but as I see it, the people  had to give up their home probably through no fault of their own and still having to make payments to their mortgage. I hope that you do not have to go through the same kind of thing the earlier occupiers had to go through and only then will you know what it feels like to get chucked out, your words not mine.

Hi thanks for that, I did think this forum was for people sharing their experiences good & bad , and about learning from others about smallholdings, not about being opinionated, but hey ho..............

Come on Lill. Through no fault of manders either. If you want to have a pop, have one at the banks, the building society or the Government. We probably got our house cheap because the man died and his wife couldn't manage - I don't feel guilty about that so don't rain on manders' parade. Anyway, we don't know about the previous owners - so shouldn't speculate. Sounds like the property was well neglected.

Not a proper TAS welcome, I'm afraid  :(

Maggie

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Umberleigh, Devon
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 10:17:04 am »
Manders,  I knew a lovely couple with three children, whose home was reposessed.  He had apparently been leading a double life with a mistress and children elsewhere, then lost his job in the early 90s.  Sad but in a way only had himself to blame.  I still wonder what became of them....

Hope you have lots of fun (ha ha) bringing the house and land back to life again.  Our farm was neglected and two years later we're still doing fencework etc but it will all be worth it in the end.  Cheerz!

manders

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Collessie
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 10:30:52 am »
Manders,  I knew a lovely couple with three children, whose home was reposessed.  He had apparently been leading a double life with a mistress and children elsewhere, then lost his job in the early 90s.  Sad but in a way only had himself to blame.  I still wonder what became of them....

Hope you have lots of fun (ha ha) bringing the house and land back to life again.  Our farm was neglected and two years later we're still doing fencework etc but it will all be worth it in the end.  Cheerz!

Hi oh gosh I wouldn't have the energy or the inclination to lead a double life........although sometimes in my dreams I'm being whisked away to a sun drenched island by George Clooney dressed in lovely clean non animal smelling clothes with beautifully manicured nails lol  ;D, but then I wake up, see my ponies in the paddock out of the bedroom window, hear the sheep calling for their breakie, hear the hens & the ducks, and realise I am the luckiest person in the world............its hard work doing it all up but what an experience! x

Sandy

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:59 am »
I dare say a lot of pre owned homes have sad tales that lead them having to being sold, I always think we are just borrowing houses anyway, welcome again :wave:

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 09:17:17 pm »
Hello from a (was sunny but now a clear nights sky) Oxfordshire! :wave:
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 09:05:14 pm »
Hello Manders  :wave:

Big welcome from Worcestershire where we too are breathing new life into a neglected property - and loving every minute, from picking plaster out of our hair, scraping ice from the INSIDE of the bedroom windows in the winter right through to the neighbours popping by to tell us how much they love having a family live here who are showing this old house some love.
Enjoy it - it sounds like you are the right people to bring about some happy times to a house and livestock who've seen misery
LIsa xxx 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »
I think most properties are updated to a greater or lesser extent when they change hands.  Our project in 1993 ws to completely revamp an old cottage, but it wasn't a repossession.  (Sorry, Lill, I don't really like shortenings!)  The old couple who owned it had been finally presuaded by their 5 kids to sell the croft and they were terribly unhappy about it.  So we included them by telling them what we were doing and they often came back up to just sit in the car with a flask or stroll about the fields.  They wouldn't come in for a cuppa - they said it would be interfering, but they were happy for us to make changes - we put a lot of original features back in.  Nan died a eyar after they moved into their easily maintained bungalow int eh middle of Inverurie, Sandy died a couple of years later.  Perhaps they would have done anyway, but I felt sad for them.

Even this ready to walk in place has been changed - a log burner, a conservatory, redecorated - we all do it.  We bought a repossession in 1988, and they left 50,000 in LOCL debts behind them, lifted all the carpets, all the curtain tracks, all the light fittings - we had to view it in daylight.  We insisted in using local trades to repair the place to try to redress the balance.

So a very very good luck vibe is heading your way!  Enjoy your work and remember the before and after photos!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

manders

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Collessie
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 09:38:38 am »
Hello Manders  :wave:

Big welcome from Worcestershire where we too are breathing new life into a neglected property - and loving every minute, from picking plaster out of our hair, scraping ice from the INSIDE of the bedroom windows in the winter right through to the neighbours popping by to tell us how much they love having a family live here who are showing this old house some love.
Enjoy it - it sounds like you are the right people to bring about some happy times to a house and livestock who've seen misery
LIsa xxx 

Hi Lisa
How spooky, I was originally from Astwood Bank Redditch, then moved to Middle Littleton for 6 months before moving up to Scotland in 2009 to live with my partner Graham who's from Scotland. Thank you for the welcome, and yes we do love this house very much, I am at peace here at last...........Good luck with your project, keep in touch, I come down to Studley quite often to see my daughter, Cheers for now
Manders xxx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:39 am »
OMG! we are in Bennetts Hill, South Littleton!!! and even more spooky...we moved to The Littletons from a village not far from Astwood bank (flyford Flavell), in fact that was our nearest chippy and curry pick up point lol! what a very small world

what you say about being at peace, at last - well (this will sound soppy so don't laugh  ;)  ) about a week after tony and i moved to this smallholding, we were both stood leant over the fence watching the sunset (imaginary piece of grass stalk in mouth lol) and both had this overwhelming feeling that we'd lived here before and had "come home at last". Strange really, but still very happy  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 09:25:43 pm »
hi and welcome  :)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS