Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This weather has been a problem.  (Read 2360 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
This weather has been a problem.
« on: June 28, 2011, 07:58:48 pm »
Its been bad enough for us humans, who can take our clothes off, put fans/air con on and drink plenty with ice. I regularly changed the boys water so that it was cold and luckily their house and run is in the shadiest part of the field. However, even at 10pm when I went to shut them up for the night, it was so muggy and hot, so for the last 2 nights, I left the top half of the barn door slightly ajar and secured it so that it wouldn't flap or close.
Then, last night, just as I was climbing into bed, the lightning started and we had a terrible storm. The boys haven't really come across thunder and lightning before and as they are so timid, I was really scared that they would be petrified. Still, they were okay this morning, as noisy as usual and just as hungry. I think I was more afraid than they were! The storm went on most of the night.
I suppose the next hurdle will be snow. We get quite a bit, well we have done for the last 3 years, so Ill need some advice about what to do then. Actually, as one who cannot stand the heat, I'm quite looking forward to snow!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: This weather has been a problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:05:53 pm »
as one who cannot stand the heat, I'm quite looking forward to snow!!
please ... don't!  It was seriously hard work, and it'll be back before you know it!

other than cool water, lots of shade and breeze where you can, there's not much else I can think of you can do.
their horns will help them lose body heat, and I suppose you could trim any really dark, thick hair if they'll let you!

We've had to leave the shed door open since Cesar arrived - he hates being shut in & just batters the door to get out at night.  Do you have any ventilation in/on their shelter?

We've found a young chicken dead today with no signs of anything - my o/h thought it might be the shock of the storms we had...
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:13:53 pm »
It's the midges mine are suffering from, bless them  :-\

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:31:33 pm »
It's the midges mine are suffering from, bless them  :-\
aren't we all - I have been bitten so many times I feel like I'm living on anti histamines!  They are much worse this year than they have been for ages!  My poor pigs are suffering  :pig:  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS