Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2972 times)

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:29:44 pm »
Hello, I live in North Somerset with my Husband and two boys aged 8 & 11 we share our 2-3 Acres with 3 dogs 2 Jack Russell's and a Chihuahua, 1 cat, 22 chickens and of course 46 pigs ages 12 weeks to 9 months and our recently orphaned 6 piglets. It has been a massive learning curve learning everything the hard way but hey that's how you learn I guess. I hope to learn lots from you guys and hope I may be able to help any of you sometime. ;D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 03:13:12 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »
Hello from a fellow pig enthusiast in rainy Lanarkshire  :wave:
46 pigs on 3 acres ? That's quite a lot for a small space.
I read about your sow  :( Hope the piglets do well, hard work hand rearing them though  ;)
Look forward to hearing more from you,
Karen x

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:34:19 pm »
Hello and welcome from Kent  :wave:
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:36:31 pm »
Hi love pigs but only have chickens now,, welcome from central scotland!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 12:51:37 am »
Hello Barratt & hubby.  Just one pig here, hopefully she has a few more inside... :fingers Xed:  Besides the pig we have a lot of beef cattle and sheep (we farm) and some Fell & Dales ponies (for fun) and 3 working collies (they work but we love them too) and a Jersey house cow, her calf & set-ons, some hens (where are they laying now?  Blessed if I can find 'em...  ::))  We're in north Cumbria and have not quite been washed away today...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 08:44:06 am »
Welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:28 am »
Hi welcome from Brittany, where I am known in the village as the mad pig lady.   I think the mad refers to me rather than to the pigs, although our pet pig does appear to be a regular subject of conversation .  What breed are your pigs.  Please tell us more about yourself and may I pry and ask what happened to the mum of the orphans and how are they doing.  Sorry I am a pig aholic

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:51:53 am »
hi and welcome from The New Forest :wave:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 10:45:36 am »
Hi there - and welcome from Worcestershire  :wave: .  I keep poultry mainly now, but did get a few yearling ewes earlier this year, and am toying with the idea of a couple of weaners to fatten  ::)  All the best Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 02:07:04 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders, my surname is Barrett and I have 2 chihuahas and 1 Jack Russell so we have something in common,

we have about 30 hens and ducks and 4 pigs.
Anne

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 05:28:32 pm »
Hi,
Welcome from Somerset, the other bit  ;) I'm on the levels and currently rearing pigs and about to get into sheep, at home we have Orphingtons and Aylesburys and one German Shepard.

Have a great time here, I know you'll be pleased you came across the site, enjoy.  :wave:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 07:18:55 pm »
Hello from Kent  :wave:

We have 2 GOS, 2 Burmese cats, 1 lab and more rabbits than a cat can catch, but he does try  :D
Just planning on getting some chickens next.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 07:20:59 pm »
high from derbyshire........

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 12:19:28 pm »
Thanks to you all for such a warm welcome, we are only down to 2 piglets now sadly I think it has put us all off breeding however, the lesson learned is to perhaps involve the vet a bit more, I had so much conflicting advise as to what to feed the piglets when they lost there mum and it was 9.30 pm on a sat night, that the weaker ones just couldn't cope, we now have 2 little fat boars who are nearly 3 weeks old and my eldest boy adores them he keeps asking if we can keep them, and they are looking for mischief.  Yes all those pigs on the land is rather a lot though did find myself taking on a bit more that I could chew, time to slow down a bit I think, I do supply the local pub with my yummy sausages. Piggies are so additive though, my neighbour asks me how do you know who is who, you just do don't you they are all different personality's, I do find that with my chickens as well. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS