Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastistis in goats  (Read 1879 times)

Merlinn

• Joined Oct 2007
Mastistis in goats
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:19 am »
Hi

I have a Saanen who has just given birth to triplets. Prior to the birth I noticed her udder getting bigger
and bigger, but didn't check it. All seemed well until the birth. I checked the teats for milk and nothing!!!
So I immediately went and got some artificial colustrum and powdered milk, went to the vets and he has given me
antibiotics to inject everyday for 5 days. I am feeding the kids 6 times a day by bottle and they are thriving.

I have tried to massage the udder in order to strip her out, but nothing. Her udder is rock hard and very warm.
Can anyone advise me as what to do next. I plan to get the vet out at the end of the antibiotics if nothing is shifting.
The kids keep trying to suckle from her and I am loathe to use the syringe to go into the teats, in case the young swallow it.

I am at a loss as to what to do. I am feeling really guilty as to having not checked her before hand. She is eating well, her stools
are normal, she is drinking as per norm.

Any advice please?

Thanks

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: Mastistis in goats
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 03:48:00 pm »
First of all,  mastitis in goats is potentially VERY serious.  Your Vet should attend the goat immediately - do not wait until the end of the antibiotic.  I  did just this some years ago and lost the goat.

The mammary tubes are not suitable for goats, the tubes are too big.

I would take the kids off her completely because they could now cause damage to the udder in frustration by butting her udder.

The very best of luck.

fruitfarm

• Joined Feb 2011
  • The Lincolnshire Fens
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:46:25 am »

First thing to say is..don't panic. She has got the antibiotic coverage and now it's down to you to massage all that rubbish away from her udder.  Take your time and be preared to sit there with her for quite a while. Just squeeze and knead QUITE HARD always down towards her teats. Like you are milking her but really squeezing those deep tissues. She may protest but I'm afraid it needs to be done and eventually she will find it a great relief. Now you need to do this as often as you can. I don't know your routine but the more times you can fit in the massage the better. Oh..forgot to say.. you might want to use just a spot of vegetable oil on your hands but not too much. Don't want you fingers just sliding off!  And if you can add a few drops of lavender or peppermint oil that's even bettter.

Now don't be alarmed if after a few days your massage brings some blood out of her udder. First it will probably be bloodstained milk but eventually you will probably get just blood. That looks awful but don't worry. Once you get to that stage her udder is all cleaned out and will start to heal nicely. It's a time-consuming business but it works and I had one old Saanen who got mastitis at the drop of a hat. All we ever used on her was massage and she used to have lumps the size of tennis balls. She came to us as a rescue and had had a rough start but in spite of everything she lived to be nearly 19. So don't despair!

After each massaging session (if you have time!) they really appreciate a warm damp cloth held on the sore spot for a while. And again a few spots of lavender or geranium oil, or even better, both,  are very soothing.
Hope everything goes really well for you.

Merlinn

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:51:30 pm »
Thanks so much for the information and advice. It just so happens that I have a masseur staying with me
and is going to take on the task. I have tried to manipulate the udder but to no avail. So afraid of causing her
pain or anymore pain than she is in already. The kids are not bothering her now for milk, as soon as they see me
they know its feed time, so they are leaving her alone. We have all the necessary oils you mentioned.
I will let you know how we get on.

Thanks again

fruitfarm

• Joined Feb 2011
  • The Lincolnshire Fens
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 06:42:27 pm »

A masseur staying with you?? How's that for a lucky coincidence!! ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS