Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 2575 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Is it just me?
« on: March 16, 2011, 07:54:17 pm »
Hi All,

I have some chicks in the incubator which are due to hatch at the end of the week. I have been candling them and tonight I saw a couple of the chicks moving inside their shells. No matter how many times I have chicks the whole process facinates me. The chicks that my broody hatched are two weeks old now and were busy having a dust bath at the weekend ::). I find it amazing that in such a short space of time they learn so much ( it was doing it all properly, throwing the dust under its arm pits and doing all the little "birdy song " moves and everything :D) Does anyone still think this stuff is magical or are you all far to familiar with the whole thing?

Is it just me feeling a bit sentimental?

Buffy

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »
no, I love it when I have time to just to watch them. 
am setting my Incy tomorrow for the first time this year.. getting excited already!

Little Blue

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:57:01 pm »
I am fascinated too!  I have some chicks in the broody at the mo and more in the incubator, I just love it, although, this year I am having to time hatching with being fully feathered for the sales, or, OH might just be sending me to a sale instead!  After this lot (guinea fowl) am going to set some of my White Campbell eggs, is all goes well will either hatch more to sell or try hatching eggs.

I just love my incubator, watching them hatch and rearing them, if a hen goes broody of course, she can do the job and save me the electric bill!

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »
I am totally in love with the whole process too and it never ceases to amaze me!!  I think as I am showing my children too I feel it is magical to share it all with their absorbent minds and their constant questions.

Before we bought an incubator we wrote a list of pro's and con's and the biggest pro kept coming out as being the 'aaawwwwwww' factor  ;D

I also think it is a bit of escapism from the real world where we are always busy and never take a moment to stop and think.....I could sit and watch chicks all day and just mull things over in my head and watch in wonder at these tiny fluffy lives.

All very fascinating stuff  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:47:48 pm »
I feel the same when I have a litter of puppies - hmmm, let me rephrase that - when one of my girls has a litter of puppies. ::)  I just sit in wonder as each little soul comes out wrapped in it's own little protective bag, and they break free and squeal.  Just pure magic  :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 08:05:26 am »
i got some golden silkies due on sataday 6 in the inky, did have 4 out of 6 due but im not 100% now still a deffo for 1 egg so im candling tem tonight for last time and will be showing my 3 yr old girl as she loves her chikadee's last one turned out to be a cockeral so the next hen is chikadee  2

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 05:50:58 pm »
It's fantastic process. I was going to pop some in the inccy this week but one of the girls has gone broody so I'm going to let her have a go.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »
Thanks guys,

it seems you are all as smitten as me. The first of my current incy clutch has just pipped a little whole in its shell. Unfortunatly it will probably hatch over night so I wont get chance to see it. I keep popping into the utility room and checking on it, its very exciting. I'm going to struggle to prizse my self away and go to work tomorrow...an early finish is required I think.

Buffy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 11:31:36 pm »
Maybe you should check it in the middle of the night - set your alarm ;)

Actually, joking apart, I lost a duck overnight that had a one inch hole in the shell and the beak was out, but it was dead in the morning.  I don't think teh humidity was high enough adn teh shell was too tough.  Duck eggs are a nightmare, so tough.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 08:38:12 am »
I love it too :) I'm counting down the days til next Wednesday when my first lot are due out of the incubator.
And I have my next 3 batches of eggs planned so that will keep me occupied. ;) I've never had a hen go broody, despite having breeds which are prone to it, so that joy is still to come but I am looking forward to that too! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS