Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you do with all the mucky compost?!  (Read 6499 times)

norcalorganic

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: What do you do with all the mucky compost?!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:49 am »
Also, might like to take a little extra care with the poultry litter. It's got the potential to be a mite "hot", due to excessive ammonia locked up in it. It's good to mix it down with other manures for balance and plan to mellow it a bit longer than you might your average pile.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:09:41 am by norcalorganic »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 12:39:40 pm »
Thank you  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 08:47:16 am »
Goat poo is great, you can spread it out and fertilize the green stuff straight away, no letting it sit for a yr its from the bum to the soil straight away lol

princesspiggy

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 08:36:33 am »
Goat poo is great, you can spread it out and fertilize the green stuff straight away, no letting it sit for a yr its from the bum to the soil straight away lol
Last year our lovely 'wizard' told me to fill a sock or pillow case with goat poo and let the rain drip through it onto my tomatoes. he said it was better than tomorite. so I did half with wizards goat pooo and the other half without. Sure enought, the goat pooo tomatoes shot up and we had loads of gorgeous tom's  :)
Still missing you Wiz xxx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 02:00:44 pm »
I got that tip from Wizard as well but on RC  when he was a member there. I hung a bag of poo in a barrel of water to make a liquid feed.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 10:41:38 am »
Even better if you also chuck in some comfrey leaves, that's what I do. I have a plastic bin just outside the p/tunnel and everything in the tunnel gets watered with the diluted brew once a week. It does stink to high heaven though.... but the toms are great.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 12:03:34 pm »
I use comfrey, it is good for growth but the poly smells like an open sewer sometimes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS