Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from the Isle of Islay  (Read 7343 times)

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Hi from the Isle of Islay
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 07:15:28 pm »
Another Hello from Lanarkshire, but North Lanarkshire this time.  Only about 11 miles from Strathavon though, near Wishaw.

We also breed a few Hebrideans, so I'm fascinated by your Heblantics!  Welcome to the group.

John

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:16 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 11:19:05 am »
Hi!  Love the sheep, I have just bought some Bowmonts and hope to collect a ram from Perth next week. Also keep Polled Dorsets.  I don't eat processed food either - been reading about the state of the food industry and would be quite happy never to set foot in a supermarket again, but not at the stage where we can be wholly self sufficient in food as yet, but working on it.  Also like you, I do like my coffee.  Oh! and welcome from north Wales. 

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 02:28:22 pm »
Hi!  Love the sheep, I have just bought some Bowmonts and hope to collect a ram from Perth next week. Also keep Polled Dorsets.  I don't eat processed food either - been reading about the state of the food industry and would be quite happy never to set foot in a supermarket again, but not at the stage where we can be wholly self sufficient in food as yet, but working on it.  Also like you, I do like my coffee.  Oh! and welcome from north Wales. 

What are Bowmonts ?  Do you have a photo, morri2 ?  Are you a Weston Price fan ?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 10:07:19 am »
Hiya Jane, I do have some photos but I can't attach them here - it won't take them for some reason.  Have tried a few times.  Bowmonts are three quarter Merino and a quarter Shetland.  Very few of them left now.  They were an experimental breed from a research centre in 1980's where scientists were trying to produce a good highland sheep that would be hardy and provide a good income from their fleeces for the Scottish hill farmers.  Their wool is fantastic to work with I believe.  I've not tried it yet, but hope to get myself some equipment and have a go shortly.  If you go on the website for Devon Fine Fibres (very easy to find)  who have the biggest flock in the country, you'll see what I'm on about - oh! and there's plenty of pics too.

Not heard of Weston Price.  Can you enlighten me please.  Cheers for now.  :wave:

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 06:56:26 pm »
Hiya Jane, I do have some photos but I can't attach them here - it won't take them for some reason.  Have tried a few times.  Bowmonts are three quarter Merino and a quarter Shetland.  Very few of them left now.
Not heard of Weston Price.  Can you enlighten me please.  Cheers for now.  :wave:

What an interesting website it is too !  Weston A Price was a dentist who, in the 1930s visited as many tribes and countries as possible, looking at dentition and diet.  Today he has many followers; basically no processed foods and only traditionally prepared food - soaking grains and nuts, for example.  Have a look at www.westonaprice.org

Saturated fat is very much approved of - which suits me just fine !  ;D

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 12:29:10 pm »
Hello Jane

I have also recently joined AS and think it is a brilliant site.

I am just in the process of setting up a small holding - live in Yorkshire near York and have about four and a half acres.

I am planning to have pigs in the main, with maybe a couple of sheep and goats and would really like some chickens as well.

Would love to hear more about how you work and manage your small holding and maybe swap tips!

Hows the weather up there today...? If is very cold and wet here after a weather forecast for sunshine!

Appreciate you may not have much time - but would be good to have the occasional natter ?

Kind Regards
Amanda

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 06:01:08 pm »
Thanks for the info Jane.  I've had a quick look at the site - pity this guy's not around today.  I intend to study his theories in more detail when I get a bit more time to myself.  School holidays here this week so time is limited!!

Have you read any of the books by Felicity Lawrence?  Or 'End of Food' by Paul Roberts?  Cheers for now. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS