Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best rare breed ram for mule ewes  (Read 2478 times)

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
Best rare breed ram for mule ewes
« on: October 06, 2010, 02:36:39 pm »
I have half a dozen mule ewes and I would like to get another half a dozen other rare breed ewes plus a ram to create a small breeding flock.

Rather than have the hassle and expense of trying to manage two rams, can you recommend a good rare breed ram that I can use on my mules too?

Realistically the lambs from the mules are likely to go into the normal markets so I need to make sure that the ram can play his part in creating lambs suitable for the normal market.

My thoughts were Wiltshire horn (not rare I know but...), Dorset down or Oxford down.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: Best rare breed ram for mule ewes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:20:16 pm »
I had a couple of mules with my Ryelands and the lambs seem to be growing well they are alot bigger than the pure Ryelands. I will let you know how much meat they produce when I send them off to slaughter.
Karen

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 08:22:10 pm »
a dorpa ram would be good might have 1 or 2 at the moment

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:06:28 am »
I've just sold a Ryeland tup to someone with mules ewes. This is his second Ryeland tup and he's very pleased with the lambs.

Yeoman

• Joined Oct 2010
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 02:58:17 pm »
Thank you Rosemary.  Looking at the site, particularly the video of them being moved to another paddock using a trough and some feed, has made me more interested in Ryelands.  What sort of lambing percentages have you experienced with yours?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »
133% in each of the last two years. First year it was 3 gimmers; last year was a bit disappointing but I didn't flush the ewes and they were a bit fat. I don't think my flock of 3 are representative of the breed as a whole.

The Ryeland Flock Book Society woudl be able to give more information across the breed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS