Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi - from TenTors  (Read 2192 times)

TenTors

• Joined Aug 2010
Hi - from TenTors
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »
Hello - from TenTors - We have just started keeping Wiltshire Horn sheep - the ones that shed wool in the spring. We also have bees (I have kept bees for over 20 years so am fairly experienced there) and we are about to get some ex-bat chickens. I am getting to know the sheep but although they are beginning to be a lot easier with us, I am still finding the handling a bit tricky (my wife refers to my antics as 'Sheep Wrestling'). Luckily we only have three so far - they all have names. I have (following reading info on this website) ordered 'The Smallholder's DIY' (Golden Cockeral Series) - because I am thinking that maybe a home-made Sheep Cradle might help reduce the excitement surrounding foot trimming, drenching, Heptovacc etc. I am also building a small sheep shelter - because my three girls (two ewes and a lamb (hog)) do NOT like the rain and it rains a lot on North Dartmoor. I am also thinking that the shelter will be useful for hay storage and as a lambing shed for next year. I would welcome any advice from other Wiltshire Horn owners - I am also looking to sort out a tup - hopefully locally - in the Okehampton (Mid-Devon) area - as I would like to put the Ewes to Ram in November.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Hi - from TenTors
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:58:23 pm »
Hello and welcome. I hope the sheep get better behaved for you. I have 2 orphaned sheep that I got as weeks old and they are so, so friendly and tame as we bottle fed them. :wave:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders, I have shetland sheep which are pretty small so not quite so hard to woek with.
Anne

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:59:59 pm »
Hello & welcome from a cold & windy North Yorkshire  :) 
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:03:46 pm »
Hi and welcome from Suffolk, :wave:
We also have some orhpan lambs who follow us around all day,walk in the house, jump in the car and just love being around us but on the other hand we also have some soays who were very wild when we got them but now after alot of hard work we can now touch and handle no problems,just takes time and patience.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:05:12 am »
Hello and welcome  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:16:11 am »
Hi and welcome from North Yorkshire.  :wave:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:25:30 am »
Helo from Herefordshire  :wave:

TenTors

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 08:49:51 am »
Many thanks for the welcomes and replies - the Wiltshires are certainly getting tamer and more used to us. A few Ewe nuts each evening when I get home from work works wonders! They came from a larger (over 100 sheep) flock a couple of months ago and probably were not handled much before coming to us. The lamb is due her second wormer drench this week so wish me luck. She is a good deal easier to handle than the big ones.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:12 am »
Hi and welcome TenTors. When we had Jacobs, which can be fairly hefty, we bought a cradle (think it might be called a sofa).  It had some problems in that it was quite a struggle to get the wretched sheep into it and the round tubing of which the frame was constructed was not as strong as it needed to be, so distorted. Eventually we found that learning the knack - and it is a knack - of tipping the sheep made things much easier, so they sit on their bums and don't wriggle too much.  I did see a far posher device which the sheep walked into and it then rotated them upside down - that worked great but was way beyond our league to buy.  Our answer was to keep smaller breeds of sheep  ;D  Wiltshire horns are lovely though so you will want to persevere. Let us know how you construct your handling device and if it is successful.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:35:49 am »
Hi and welcome from Carnoustie!  :wave:

TenTors

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 01:55:22 pm »
I have bought a copy of the 'Golden Cockerel' series book - 'The Smallholder's DIY' and am going to have a go at building the Sheep Cradle which looks eminently doable with a few hours work. But I envisage that there may be a problem with executing the instruction 'walk the sheep alongside the cradle and roll her onto it' - although this should be a bit more civilised than out current method (get her down and sit astride her!). It will be a few weeks before this project is completed but I hope to report success.

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 12:25:19 pm »
Hello from sunny Dollar  :wave: :wave: :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS