Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When does a sheeps breeding cycle end ??  (Read 1972 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
When does a sheeps breeding cycle end ??
« on: February 28, 2018, 07:34:54 am »
After tupping we removed our ram and whether and kept seperately and allowed two ewe lambs to join the girls. Is the start of March too soon to return them all together to avoid the ewe lambs getting tupped ? It would help out practically over the next couple of months to have them all together and just put the boys in a field pen at feeding time.

Thanks in advance

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: When does a sheeps breeding cycle end ??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 07:42:04 am »
My teaser ram was tupping  a ewe yesterday!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 09:54:57 am »
Theoretically only a very few breeds are receptive to the tup all year, but it's not a theory I've ever cared to put to the test.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 10:46:09 am »
I have taken on (someone else's) bottle lambs from a gimmer ewe that lambed in late August, due to some member of the public having left gates open... the ewe did not survive as she hadn't been fed for pregnancy...

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 01:28:31 pm »
I'm happy to turn my ewe lambs out with the Rams from the beginning of April. Others have said that they wouldn't do that because the rams could bring the lambs into heat but I've been doing it for years and never had a summer lamb.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 02:49:49 pm »
Some breeds cycle all year round - Dorsets, for instance - so the answer might depend on what sort of sheep you’re talking about. 

Ex-BH used to leave his tups with the ewes year round, and got some early lambs some years but not very late ones. However, when we introduced Charollais into the mix we had to start keeping the boys separate; the ewes which were part Charollais were much more likely to cycle at odd times :/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

firther

• Joined Mar 2013
  • holmfirth, west yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 08:45:34 am »
i had a cheviot ewe that lambed to a texel in middle of july last year, nice lamb as well and I wasn't expecting it  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS