Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicks and learning whats best for themselves  (Read 1779 times)

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Chicks and learning whats best for themselves
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:00:06 am »
Ok 4 young chicks around 6 weeks old, been in their own coop now for a week and very happy, they have even sorted their pecking order out, no adult birds to smother them so their fine.

Here in lies the question: As their are no elders to learn from, will me putting them in their coop at night  ::) teach them anything, or will they simply come to expect this wonderful treatment and expect me to do it everynight  ::) Worse than bl**dy kids  ;D

They will simply huddle in their run, if i don't physically show them the way and obviously that simply equals foxxys dinner if I leave them.  :-\ 

Hardfeather

Re: Chicks and learning whats best for themselves
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:59:25 am »
A lot depends on the breed, but most fowl have a strong instinct to fly up to a roost for the night. Once they have found a safe place to spend the night, they will go there of their own accord.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:32:19 am »
Try giving them their last meal of the day inside their coop. And leave a long time between that and the previous meal
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:19:14 am »
Thanks for the ideas, Ill try the food in the coop and see what occurs, their Orps, ducklings have it sorted, once persuaded the chicken need to roost they follow me to their house and in they go.

Well other than wanting to go in with the chicks initially  :D They've been together since hatching and are quite attached, mother hen? more like mother duck; bundles them up in a group and snuggles them Bless  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS