Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from a sort of smallholder!  (Read 2847 times)

myrtle

• Joined Aug 2008
Hello from a sort of smallholder!
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:49:01 pm »
Hello All

I have been reading with interest for a while and gained some valuable info particularly on pigs. Thought I ought to stop lurking!
Our first two experimental porkers went off to slaughter this morning, its been quite a learning curve throughout - still look forward to the end product and making some sausages.
We also have various chickens and three ponies, veggie plot and 3 acres of overgrown woodland to clear - all in our spare time!

Based Ox/Bucks borders

Myrt xx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello from a sort of smallholder!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:45:02 pm »
Hello and welcome. Hope you enjoy the forums.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:18:30 am »
hey welcome to the forums  ;D

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:09:38 pm »
Hello and welcome, dont lurk in the background, come and join us we are a good bunch of folks---sometimes!!!!

Carole

Francis Bacon

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Belabre, France
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:07:33 pm »
Yes stop lurking  ;)  Tell us about your experience with the pigs going off, how was it? What sort were they & what was the weight? Would like to know as ours is planned for a month's time.
Donna
I Love mornings - I just wish they came later in the day!

myrtle

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 07:27:44 pm »
Pigs were ironage (tamworth x wildboar) x tamworth and x saddleback. Essentially looked like their mothers but when piglets were a bit stripey! They were around 6 months old, not sure of weight as I wsnt sure how to weigh them (now  know!! with string!) but they looked ready to me?? And i was fed up with them! A bit of a learning curve really the whole process!! Local slaughterhouse was very helpful regarding paperwork and advice and I got lots of tips from here about tagging them. Still didnt have quite right paperwork and OH had to go off to random pig farm and beg a defra form as my local trading standards hadnt sent me the right one. Pigs were fine, tagging no probs, loaded fine,just me that got stressed! The carcasses are being delivered to our local butcher on friday so I hope to be able to go and watch them being butchered.
Not sure I am going to do it again!
It would be good to hear of other first time pig keepers and see if they are hooked or put off

I may change my mind when Ive tasted them of course......

Myrt xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS