Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: It's a bit soggy out!  (Read 3641 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: It's a bit soggy out!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 11:37:10 am »
WE grow willow as a crop for our goats (and I dare saying that the sheep would love it too, but it is too much work to cut for them as well as the goats), and our first batch of trees is now 10 yo and we have taken chunks off for firewood (not ideal wrt to heat output, but cheap and homegrown, will need a couple of years for drying). I am just suggesting it as it grows fast in damp places. We cut back every other winter or so.

But yes, alder grows fast as well (ours are all self sown) and would be equally good in your situation.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 05:37:36 pm »
Willow spiling is a traditional way of stabilising river banks so I reckon that would be your best bet
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 07:03:14 pm »
Hmmm, the fence line is our boundary, so the river bank doesn't actually belong to us. I'm sure willow would work, but still a bit concerned that it would take over very quickly, and then become yet another thing to maintain  :-\ .  Any thoughts?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 09:21:11 am »
Our fields border a stream that drains the whole valley, so it can turn from something 60cm wide and 15cm deep to 5m wide and 3m deep after a day's heavy rainfall.  The only thing that slows it down is that the stream meanders.  I see yours is pretty straight.  Is it possible to cut an alternative stream bed for it and put in some bends?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 03:26:22 pm »
Hmmm, the fence line is our boundary, so the river bank doesn't actually belong to us. I'm sure willow would work, but still a bit concerned that it would take over very quickly, and then become yet another thing to maintain  :-\ .  Any thoughts?
I've got willow along the wee wall at the front - three years old now.  Needs cutting once a year, twice if you have the energy, great for the wood burner.  Come and see it sometime.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 03:29:45 pm »
   I see yours is pretty straight.  Is it possible to cut an alternative stream bed for it and put in some bends?
Ha ha - that's the railway line in Stirling! :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS