Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Last but not least...  (Read 1497 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Last but not least...
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:23:50 am »
...triplets! 2 tups and a slightly weedy gimmer.

My first set - from my hippo-sized ewe.  She's got colosrtrum like custard and is being very attentive, but being a shearling, how much do you think I should intervene? 

I've got Volostrum to top up if necessary, but I think the great confusion of little bodies is more bemusing to the ewe than anything! She doesn't know who to lick next. They're in a pen, being Skyped and as long as the old ewe next door doesn't manage to steal one - she seems very keen on the little gimmer - I think they're safe enough as long as they all get a look-in on the custard.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Last but not least...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:13:50 am »
I don't know what breed she is, but personally I'd top up triplets on a first-timer, just to be on the safe side.  Loads of cake for mum, right through, even when the grass is growing.  (But remember we're on Cumbrian upland here.)  Then keep a very close eye, and at the first sign of mum getting fed up of them seeking milk but the lambs still being hungry (as opposed to just greedy ;)), I'd take one off.  But then we're on very poor ground, and any ewe that's managed to carry triplets to term and give birth to them is likely to struggle to provide sufficient milk for three growing lambs. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:06:05 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:28:55 am »
Thanks. She's a big NCM. They're inside at the moment and I'm feeding the ewe 3 times a day (or have been: she couldn't manage much at a time with that bunch inside!) so I'll keep her in with plenty of hard feed and good hay until I'm sure they're all hale and hearty.  Ewe seems very happy with them at the moment, but seems to be having to do a constant head count so isn't standing still for long.

We haven't got much grass on the North York Moors yet either and the fields are still very wet so I'm still supplementing everyone for the time being anyway.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 11:07:43 am »
Of course, grass makes milk much better than hay, so best to get her outside when you can, as soon as she's settled and can count to 3.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:18:43 pm »
I'd try to top them all up with the bottle after the first 24 hours, you will probably find one will suck better than another, if they get used to you and the bottle before you turn her out you can top them up once or twice a day and mum will look after all of them.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:53:10 pm »
I've started topping up the little gimmer as she's far smaller than her two brothers and they keep pushing her off so she only gets leftovers after they're full.  She's not too clever about finding the teats either!

I may well give all 3 a little extra as to my eyes they all look a bit skinny, but one forgets so quickly how boney they are to start and how quickly they get a nice covering.  i don't want to discourage the ewe's milk production so I'll try to keep top-ups to a minimum until they all look strong.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS