Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel - do we need permission?  (Read 6461 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Polytunnel - do we need permission?
« on: July 16, 2015, 11:10:34 am »
A quick question -
Will we need permission to put a polytunnel on our field? Does it depend on the size? Or is it ok just to go ahead.
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Polytunnel - do we need permission?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:31:55 am »
If it is going in your field as opposed to your garden you will need to go through the agricultural prior notification procedure for it.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 12:42:03 pm »
I had to go through the planning permission system only to be told at the end that I didn't need permission for it. I think the answer o is it depends upon your planning authority and how knowledgeable they are on the subject. Go and ask them first but get any response in writing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:45 pm »
Not sure if it depends on where you are it in Carmarthenshire I have been told I would need pp
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 08:14:35 pm »
I'd watch if your house is listed.

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 09:00:48 pm »
I'd watch if your house is listed.

Thanks for the replies. Our house is listed, I hadn't considered that might be a factor.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 10:26:11 pm »
The reason I mentioned it is if we wanted a shed over a certain area - we need planning permission as our house is listed.  The same would apply for if we wanted a greenhouse.
If the field 'deeds' are separate from the house 'deeds' you are unlikely to need it but if its all under 1 set of of deeds then you may well need pp.
Your local council website should have some info for you.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:32:21 pm by Carse Goodlifers »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 12:24:15 am »
Our house was listed (built inthe 70's! the inspector must have liked it), but we could have a polytunnel within the curtilage of the house, without having to apply, I think it was up to 3metres tall, or maybe 9ft, can't remember.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:01 am »
The reason I mentioned it is if we wanted a shed over a certain area - we need planning permission as our house is listed.  The same would apply for if we wanted a greenhouse.
If the field 'deeds' are separate from the house 'deeds' you are unlikely to need it but if its all under 1 set of of deeds then you may well need pp.
Your local council website should have some info for you.

Even if they are separate it will still need to go through the prior notification procedure. I have just done this myself so I really do know what I am talking about.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 11:33:01 am »
Even if they are separate it will still need to go through the prior notification procedure. I have just done this myself so I really do know what I am talking about.
Never doubted it for one minute CC - my apologies if I have given that impression.
Can I ask how long does the process take - prior notification procedure?
Who is notified?
Do fruit farms have to do this when they wish to erect tunnels?

Not wanting to start a planning discussion but I do think, rightly or wrongly, that the overall planning situation needs to be looked at and reviewed by authorities. 
We would need planning for a large shed (larger than 4m2) on our listed property but the neighbouring farmer can put a 16 x 6ft wooden chicken hut next to our mutual fence line without any planning or prior notification.  How does that work?  ???
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:43:13 am by Carse Goodlifers »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 12:28:26 pm »
They have 28 days after you put in your prior notification to assess whether it needs prior approval. I was asked to provide details of how it related to my business and had a site visit from a planning officer. It all went through fine. We had two applications in - one for a polytunnel and one for a barn for the goats and lambing. He was very keen to check out that it wasn't for horsey use.

WRT to your neighbour the listed building controls only apply to the curtilage of the building so that will usually exclude neighbouring properties. However, if his chicken shed is within a certain distance of your house then he may require permission as it may be exempt from permitted development ( I can't remember the distances offhand). You need to take a look at the General Permitted Development Order. There are different ones for each of England Scotland and Wales just to make it even clearer  ::)  Oh how I used to hate writing articles on planning law when I had to cover all 3 jurisdictions.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS