Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding  (Read 5430 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »
I'm reliably informed this makes for good viewing

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-big-fat-gypsy-wedding/4od

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:05:39 pm »
Over the years I have been manager of hotels where we have had gypsy weddings and biy do they have cash. They have bottles of vodka on every table, instead of wine and drink like fish. Everyone is dressed in the best designer gear but the moment they open theor mouths... The brides parents spend money like you cannot imagine as they have to out do the last wedding they were at. The last one I did we had a massive fight, poilice were called and the band was finished as I closed the bars at 9.30pm.

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:21:51 pm »
but the moment they open theor mouths...

They sound just like gypsies?

sandy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:29:49 pm »
I used to live in Market Harborough were there were lot's of travellers and they would have Golden coaches for weddings and golden caskets for funerals...in the words of Harry Enfield "LOADS OF MONEY!!" Mind you most of the pubs and shops etc would barricade their doors in case of fights. Some years ago their was a huge police raid, it's on You tube, after which, well not long after, the community Gypsy leader died and had a huge funeral, thousands of mourners from everywhere!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 07:46:24 pm »
Good god - did you see that DRESS!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:43 pm »
I watched it, brilliant,  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 08:39:33 pm »
I wish they'd take the adverts out before putting it on 4OD
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:42:09 pm »
I wish they'd take the adverts out before putting it on 4OD

i thought they did!

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 03:31:25 am »
Fascinating programme!

I saw it the first time around about a year ago if not more.

juliag

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Wanstrow somerset
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 07:04:56 am »
We loved it too! We go every year to the priddy sheep fair which is also a big gypsy gathering and have always been amazed at how the girls dress in tiny little white clothes with high heel shoes, basically done up like dogs dinners, now we know they are looking for husbands. The other thing that we noticed was they deal with each other with huge rolls of cash and are not worried about having it on show! Whereas I am afraid I walked around with a tight hold on my handbag, maybe I was wrong to do that?
juliag

Hardfeather

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 07:24:28 am »
You're never wrong to look after your belongings in any company.  ;)

However, I'd trust a gypsy more than I'd trust some of those street curs which come out of the inner cities/towns with their drug habits, lack of ambition, and blades.

It's strange that these sorts seem to be less despised than those with strict codes of conduct, a sense of community, and moral awareness. I think the gypsies are very wise to keep themselves 'clean' of non gypsy influences. 

sandy

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:07:37 am »
I knew several Gypsis from the local community and they did have very "old fashioned values" (I can hear my tutor telling me off now for stereotyping BUT)they respect their families and in particular their mums/Gran's etc. I loved working with them in a Youth Club setting and certainly learnt a lot, their traditions are very similar to those of the Hindu faith with the cast system and dowries etc, all very interesting but sadly, a lot of outsiders who join Gypsy communities tarnish the old values, mind you, that is the same in all cultures!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS